Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting ready to start......

Default Getting ready to start......

Well my ds is 5.5 months old. We started giving him rice cereal about a month ago because he was showing all the signs to start solids and wouldn't let me eat without crying and grabbing my food. We want to do The BLS approach, so my question is.....What foods do I start out with and how do I serve it to him (mashed, cut up, spoon feed), and what things should I not give him?? TIA for any help!

Default Re: Getting ready to start......

You technically are doing "BLS" because he showed you that he wanted to eat and was ready to eat so you started feeding him!!!

I feel that I do BLS even though my daughter eats with a spoon at times. I simply help her get it to her mouth!

She started on sweet potatoes because they're easy for me to make at home. Then we did peas, again, very easy at home.

I don't give her cereal at all any more becaus eno matter what I do she gets constipated from it.

Oatmeal is great but very messy if you are a BLS purest. Now she does bannana and avacado the true BLS way.

Good Luck and get ready for a MESS!!!!!

So do you mash up the food and just set it on their tray or do you feed it to them with a spoon. I know.......stupid question.

You can do both, and it also depends on the food. I don't think it is a stupid question at all!

The "purist" BLS Moms will say No Spoon ever. I personally don't think that is realistic for me because I do not have 2 hours to feed my daughter, and the spoon is a learning tool for us.

For example, she can do avacado on her own, but just plays with it mostly unless I feed her a few spoons. Then she gets it!

We did spoon feeding exclusively for pureed foods for about a week when we first started.

With BLS, you let them feed themselves and experiment with the food (this is what I understand). Sooo, I'd say self-feeding It's messy - watch out