Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Planned weaning...

Default Planned weaning...

I have been talking to my ds about weaning after his 4th birthday for about 2 months now and working on nursing less. It has really worked as far as cutting down the amount he was nursing, and especially the amount of time during the day he would ask to nurse. Anyway, I have been gently reminding him of his upcoming birthday (4 days away) and he ignores me or says "no, 4 year olds are not too big". He nurses about twice a day, usually for less than 20seconds each time, and as little as he gets and as little snuggling time as actually occurs (he gets much more attention with hugs and kisses during the day) I am not quite sure how much he still needs it. I have talked to him about having a special kiss or snuggle just for him he can ask for when he needs to be comforted. I am not sure how this is going to go. Anyone have any experience with weaning a reluctant older nursling? I may nix the plan if he freaks out about it. I am also nursing a 21 month old who is extremely needy of nursing at the moment and waking me up A LOT during the night. I picked 4 years old because I was weaned the day after my 4th birthday and I have really not been nursing him enthusiastically for a while now...

Default Re: Planned weaning...

I can understand your feelings on this. It can be especially trying on a mom to have a younger nursling who is very needy and be feeling like maybe it is time to wean the older nursling. When my dd was about to turn 3 and my younger dd was about 18 months I was having a lot of conflicting feelings about our tandem nursing time. It didn't seem as though I had as much time or enjoyed nursing my younger dd as much as I had my older dd at the same age. For that reason I did initiate weaning. We talked about it a lot (as you have) and I also thought I would scrap the plan if she didn't do well. She was down to mostly nursing before bed and sometimes nap and other intermittent times throughout the day. The first night we laid down to bed and I told her we would lay and snuggle but no more nur-nurse...she did cry...lightly for about 1-2 minutes. The next night, barely at all, and the next, nothing. I believe that it was the right time for both of us-although it was not child-led weaning. I began to enjoy my nursing relationship with my younger dd so much more. I think you will know-if you get to the point where you are ready to say no to his requests and either one of you are having a hard time with it. You will probably see him thrive if the timing is right and struggle a little if it is not. I commend you on tandem nursing for so long and being their for your children. Let us know how things are going!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Here's hoping it goes as smoothly for me as it seems to have gone for you. I will update after the planned weaning date (January 24th, coming up fast...)

Have you read Mothering Your Nursing Toddler? You might find some good suggestions there. I would also suggest How Weaning Happens.

Some mothers offer to throw your a weaning party or some other incentive for weaning. Do you think that might work?

Children love to read about other kids just like them. Maggie's Weaning is a book your ds might enjoy.

Here's some more info:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBextended.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBweaning.html

All the books above can be found in the LLL catalog, online version found here: http://www.lalecheleague.org/catalog.html , your LLL Group's library, or your local library/book store.

Good luck! Do keep us updated.

thanks for the advice. I do have "how weaning happens" and a very old (my mother's!) mothering your nursing toddler. I may have to reread. I don't have Maggie's Weaning, maybe I should order that.
    Today was the day...he was so excited about his birthday yesterday that he forgot about nursing until the evening (I was going to let him nurse as much as he wanted instead of limiting it). I reminded him about his birthday being the last day the day before but did not remind him again on his actual birthday. I nursed him before bed, which we have not done in a while. We woke up and he asked to nurse in the morning, again not typical. I told him that yesterday was supposed to be his last day nursing, that he was going to wean now that he was 4. He said "one more time" and I obliged. I also told him that I nursed "one more time" when I was 4 years and 1 day old and that was my very last time.
    During the day he asked to nurse and I told him no but told him he could have a back scratch (his personal fave) or a hug or kiss and he opted for the back scratch quite happily. He asked again to nurse when we were getting ready for bed and I said "this morning was your last time, remember?" he said yes and then he said "until tomorrow" and I said "no, we were going to be all done, remember?" and he said he did remember. I gave him a hug and kiss and he didn't ask me again. So far, so good. We will see how tomorrow goes...

Awwwww....

I look forward to hearing the rest of your story.