Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: toddler fever=not latching?

Default toddler fever=not latching?

my toddler is normally an active nurser. I can not even count the number of times she nurses most days. But last night she got a fever. She had been whiney and drooling for a day or so, but I thought it was just teething (she just had 3 more brake though). She normally nurses throughout the night, but last night it seemed like she couldn't latch on so instead she whined/moaned a lot last night. Now we have been out of bed for almost two hours and she hasn't latched on once. She tried, but it didn't seem to work. I thought 'well, maybe I missed it and she really did get some milk' but now my breasts are feeling werid.

anyway. I am not really sure even what to ask. I guess has anyone else had a toddler who wouldn't/coudln't latch when sick? I am a little worried that shes not getting enough to drink. But its also taken away her main comforting thing......

Default Re: toddler fever=not latching?

Hi. The only experience I have with this is with my DD when she was 9 months old. All of a sudden she wouldn't nurse and after a full day, I figured it was a nursing strike but she wasn't happy at all and I finally realized she was sick with a fever. By the 2nd morning, I took her to the doc. and he diagnosed an ear infection. We started her on antibiotics and pain meds but it still took her 9 full days to finally latch on again. I pumped like a maniac for supply and to give her milk for her soft foods. I was heartbroken that she might have weaned but through perseverence (offering at night, when she was tired, while walking around etc...) and lots of patience, her health got the all clear and she finally tried nursing again.

That's prob. not much help and everyone said it must have been teething for us too but if she cut teeth recently without a strike, I'd assume it's sore ears or something similar, especially if this is totally out of character for her.

Good luck!

I thought the drooling was teething. all her other teeth came with MORE nursing shes not eating or drinking much at all. (though as I type shes working on a smoothie ). I think she might be having trouble swallowing, which could be a tounge, throat, or ear issue. Its really messing with her sleep since she normally nurses to sleep. She keeps asking to nurse, but then doesnt latch and gets mad

ok... there is something on her tounge... maybe she bit it and thats why she cant latch?

Poor thing! If her eating and drinking is really off still today, it would be worth getting checked out. Hopefully all is well though!
    Good luck!

my son had what i thought was a nursing strike when he was just over 9 months old. i came home from a work trip and he wouldn't breastfeed for 4 days. turns out he was sick and it hurt him to latch on to feed. i just pumped for those 4 days and fed him with a sippy cup. after he got better, he was in full on attack breast mode again.

You might check this out as a possible cause. http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T082600.asp (Hand, foot and mouth disease)

ok... she is a little better today, it seems like her fever is gone. and shes playing more. she still has a funney mark on her tounge though and she still won't nurse. But she is playing and acting normal if it isnt related to nursing (like taking a brake, or sleepign).

she seems like she tries to nurse sometimes... but she won't latch or anything. she sometimes will act like its ice cream and just kinda 'lick' it with her whole mouth. especilly when I am pumping and I stop because she comes over and signs milk.

I pumped 3 times yesterday with my isis and got a whole 6oz (more then I have ever pumped in one day before). I offered it to her a few times and finally got her to drink all of it before bed. Since shes better today I just gave her the sippy, which she is holding while bouncing on the couch saying "ahahahahah" :

shes 19 months and eats tons of solids. but yesterday morning after not nursing all night I actually her her stomache rumble this morning she woke me up early again asking for something to drink

I just hope that when her tounge feels better she still remembers how to nurse

thats a good link! :thumb: I will show my husband when he gets home. Thanks.
    looking at the photos, she had spots like that... but they were under her diaper. I thought it was a werid diaper rash (when shes too busy to tell me shes pooped she will get a rash that useually goes away in a few hours, or a day at most)
    Last edited by tash; August 29th, 2007 at 10:46 AM.

My DD had Hand Foot and Mouth, but never on her feet, she had it on her bottom, legs and a couple on her tummy. A few days later I had a few of the sores in my mouth, and OH MY GOSH, they were so painful. This could be why she is not nursing. Also I know that when my daughter starts to get a cold she will try to nurse but it is to difficult so she just refuses. If that is the case take her into a steamy bathroom and try to nurse in there, the steam will open up her nose.

Could it maybe be thrush?

well yesterday she had red spots under her diaper, I thought it was diaper rash... but then it started spreading up and down and now she has light red pinkish dots all the way to her feet. shes not scratching them so I guess they don't bother her. it really sounds like hand foot and mouth. shes still not nursing.

OMG just after I typed that she woke up a little whined and then latched and took like 3 sucks :whohoo: then she cried at least she hasn't forgotten how

it doesnt look like the thrush she had before : and she nursed through that... of course she didnt eat as many solids then either (she was almost 10 months then)