Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Unhappy Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Hi . I am not breastfeeding my 8-month old baby since he was 3 months old. But I'm trying to bf him again.I did a lot of ways to nurse him again. I pumped my breast. I had to hire a baby to bf hoping this will help to stimulate my milk production. But it seems that my milk didn't increase. I wonder who could give me an advice on what to do. Im in the Philippines. There's no available La Leche League Leaders where I live.

Mamapj29

Default Re: Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Sorry I can't help you I just wanted to let you know that there is a relactation forum...this is the weightloss forum...hopefully you can get some help there. Go ahead and repost there....here is a link to the relactation forum....http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=50

Hello and welcome!

Yes! It is possible to relactate, but it will take some time and effort on your part. I'm sorry you don't have any LLL leaders available near you. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum. There is a lot of good information that can help you.

There are some other mamas on this forum who have successfully relactated. I hope some of them will chime in soon and tell you their stories.

I wish you the best!

Tiana

Question Re: Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Hi Tiana

Im glad to hear a comment from you. I'm glad my baby is latching on my breasts now. I am using the Supplemental Nursing System( SNS) that my husband sent to me from the US. I started working on it last 5 days ago. At first he was screaming and not showing that he's interested on latching on my breasts but I didn't stop offering them to him that same day. The next day, he did latch on them with a little screaming but not as bad as the first day. On the third day, he was excited to see my breasts and latched on them without any hesitation. I am very thankful that he likes to nurse again.

Anyway, I am working on increasing my milk supply so that he will be sucking on the breastmilk instead of the formula that I put inside the SNS. I heard that fenugreek is the best to help boost the milk production. But the problem is that it's not available in the Philippines. I found a store online that sells capsulized herbs including fenugreek. The price is like $2.99 each bottle 100 capsules. The website said that they will accept orders worldwide. I checked on the cost for shipping to the Philippines. It costs like $8 something for 1 bottle only. Do you think this is a good deal? I will attach the URL here so that you can check on it also. Thanks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140144611291

LLL leaders are not medical professionals, and therefore I cannot advise you on supplements. There are other mothers on this board who have used Fenugreek, and they can tell you their experiences. I would highly recommend you speak with an IBCLC about the use of Fenugreek. Is it illegal in the Phillipines, or just unavailable?

Many, many mothers have luck boosting their supply with oatmeal.

In fact, when my milk first came in I had no engorgement at all until I ate oatmeal one morning (just to be healthy, without realizing the milk-increasing benefits)!!

Best of luck, mama!!

Talking Re: Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Fenugreek is not available in the Philippines. I am actually taking a kind of leafy vegetable in a capsule that my doctor prescribed for me. The name is prolacta (made out of a malunggay leaves). The other doctor from Manila that I talked on the phone suggested to take the other brand (Natalac).So, I think this is kinda similar to fenugreek. When I was bf with my oldest son, prolacta was very helpful to my breastmilk supply. Maybe, I should take it 4 or 5 capsules a day instead of 3 capslues a day. I might just ask my doctor about it to make it sure. What do you think?. Anyway, Im very glad for my baby's improvement of relactating.

Smile Re: Relactating for an 8-month old baby

Wow, that's a good idea...What kind of oatmeal? My husband likes to eat oatmeal for his breakfast. Maybe I should eat some of his oatmeal huh? ...Thanks for mentioning this to me. I will try it very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mamapj29 View Post

Wow, that's a good idea...What kind of oatmeal?
    I just eat regular oatmeal. I know some mothers can eat oatmeal cookies, and instant oatmeal can work.

good luck with this mamapj29. u can do this. i'm so glad to hear that you want to provide for your lo this way. just keep working and let us know how it's going.