Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: adoption problem

Default adoption problem

I'm adopting a little girl from china in a month, I'm interested in breast feeding my new little girl but I have a very large problem. I'm sterile from Kemo -therapy and due to my breast cancer, I only have one breast. I also take drugs to reduce my chances of a re-lapse. I've already talked to my doctor, due to my low hormones (I've also gone though menopause early from my kemo) he not sure if I can even produce, he's looking into it for me. I'm also worried about my medication, I can't find any studies about the risk of my drug during breast feeding, should I quit using my drug until she weened?

I was wonder if anyone had any advice for me, is breast feeding a lost cause for someone like me? I really want to do this, since I can't have children of my own I feel like a failure as a women. I also want to do the best I can for my daughter.

Default Re: adoption problem

I don't have any words of wisdom about inducing lactation, but read your post and wanted to say that you are certainly NOT a failure! You've just got a different path to follow and seeing your beautiful adopted baby grow and thrive will certainly be proof of your success!

I hope everything goes smoothly and you're holding your little baby in your arms soon!

You are certainly not a failure, you are going to be a wonderful mom! Have you checked in Thomas Hales book, medicines and mother's milk? He will be able to tell you whether or not your med would be safe? Many blessings!

What is the drug you'll be taking? I've known one woman who nursed exclusively from one breast after losing the other one to a masectomy.

The chemotherapy shouldn't have much of an effect on your body's ability to produce breastmilk since breastmilk production primarily relies on breast stimuation.

Let me know the name of the drug and I'll look it up for you.