Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can anyone help???

Unhappy can anyone help???

My son is 11 weeks old today and he used to breastfeed all the time.
    When he was about 3 weeks old I started using a bottle with formula because I did not think I was making enough milk for him. As the weeks went on he got more bottle less me and I do not have a pump.{nore can I afford one right now} Now he won't latch on to me not even with the shield and I think my milk
    is drying up. Is there anything I can do to get him back on or should I just stay with formula?
    Thanks,
    Brandi
    Last edited by loriandjacobsmom; May 20th, 2006 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: can anyone help???

Hi Brandi,
    I am so sorry you are dealing with this supply issue and commend you for wanting to get your son back to your breast.

You are right in that the more you offered the bottle the less your son nursed and that is why your supply has dwindled.

Would you consider trying to contact an LLL Leader in person? She could help you more easily than we can here on the boards, but I will try to give you some insight and information.

First of all, yes there are things you can do to get him back to the breast.
    You may wish to check out this link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/relactation.html

Is there anyway you can get your hands on a hospital-grade rental pump? If you have insurance you may be able to get baby's doctor to write a prescription for one. If not, if you qualify for WIC you could see about renting one there.

Does he nurse at all at this point?
    Are you able to express any milk at this point?

I will wait for your responses.

I forgot to give you the link for finding an LLLL:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/leaderinfo.html

Hi Kate,
    Sure I would like to contact them in person there is just one problem, we will be moving around the first of June and there is not a LLL Leader near me.

I have no idea how I would go about getting a hospital pump do you know?

I got him to nurse for about 3 Minutes last night without anything.
    I can get about a drop from my right one and nothing from my left.

I guess this happens when your baby is born 9lbs 5ozs

Sorry for the late reply. I missed this thread, somehow.

If you want to PM I can help you find the nearest Leader. Some don't have websites or groups, but I can help you find the closest one. Also, some hospitals have free LC services. And I don't know if you qualify for WIC, but they also have LC services and pump rental.

Hospital-grade pumps can be rented usually from a pharmacy. You could call the local hospital and ask the LC there where you would be able to rent a pump. Or you could ask the ped. If you are still having trouble, let me know.

You are doing such a great job trying to get ds back to breast and I commend you for that. Lots of moms with larger babies have been able to provide enough milk for their babies! Sometimes it is hard to interpret a babies needs in those early weeks, and we may misinterpret something else for low-supply. But you are headed in the right direction. I hope things keep improving. Keep me posted.