Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pukey, gassy, fussy baby

Default pukey, gassy, fussy baby

I have a 4 month old baby who constantly pukes all over the place (soaks many, many, burp cloths, bibs and onesies daily), is extremely gassy (sounds like a whoppie cushion while nursing) and hardly every poops (usually only once or twice a week), and is often fussy. She is otherwise healthy, and gaining weight very well.

I give her Mylicon gas drops 3 times a day for the gas, it seems to help a little, but she is still very gassy. She struggles to poop and is much happier after pooping, but she is not technically constipated (her poops are huge, dark and runny).

I'm not sure what to do about the puke, she almost always pukes a mouthful of milk after nursing, then continues to puke up curds and liquid every 15 minutes or so while she is awake.

I thought the puke and gas would get better as she got older, but at 4 months I'm still waiting, if anything they have gotten worse as time goes on. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: pukey, gassy, fussy baby

Check your diet, she may be having a reaction to what you are eating. Does she have a rash on her anus or around it? That can signal an allergy

My niece who was bfed was a spitter upper, with almost every feeding. She pooped about every other day, and it was so bad that my sis had to plan her day around it b/c the poo would be up the back...everywhere! She was always in the 90th % for height and weight, so there was nothing to worry about, she was just messy. I am glad to report that she is now 9 and no longer spits up or poos herself

Talk to your ped. to see if they can make any recs. just in case....

When I eat dairy it always makes DD gassy. I had too much cheese last night and today her gas could clear a room Have you checked into reflux as a possible answer for the puking? My DD has it, and still has a good weight gain, so that's not always a factor.

My older son, now close to 5 and starting kindergarten tomorrow!, was similar to you dd on the "lower" end. We actually used gas drops a lot more frequently than 3 times/day (I think it was more like every 2 hours if he needed it!). He was soley bf by that point, but was still only pooing every 5-7 days. He was normally VERY cranky for the day or two before he would go, and I can't blame him there! He was not considered constipated either. He finally started being more regular and going every day when we started solids. However, the gas and the smell got worse.

Maybe she is just "overeating" a bit. Many babies mistake gas pain for hunger. Then she's spitty? Or maybe she just needs burped more after nursing. My DH thinks one little burp cuts it, but my parents and I normally burp until we get a few (duh, you just listen to their breathing....you'd think he'd figure it out by the third), and then no productive burps.

And, some babies are just spitty. If she's not crying over it, it's probably not acidic.....

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

I would definately recommend cutting the dairy out of your diet for a while to see if it helps. My dd vomitted profuse amounts like yours, accompanied by abrasive burps and "toots" (to put it mildly), ate constantly, fussed, and was just uncomfortable in general. I cut the dairy out, and within a day or two she stopped vomitting! It can take longer to see results, but we were lucky. Within a few weeks her gas was greatly reduced! Now I know 24hrs later (almost exactly!) if I accidentally let some dairy slip thru because she'll spit up, burp, and have gas. The symptoms are worse depending on what it was I ate, so I really try to be careful by asking restaurants about their food (this is where I mainly have trouble with accidental dairy attacks!) and reading ingredients. Check out the allergy forum in the FamilyNutrition section for a list of trouble ingredients and I hope things get better soon! Let us know