Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbee questions...

Default Re: Newbee questions...

I've heard much about these and wondered if they really do work. I guess I'll have to go out and get some just to be prepared.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mcwise View Post
    I would recommend getting a breastshield before your baby is born, just incase you need to use it. I have flat nipples and my son had difficulty latching on. He lost over a pound by day 2 and was severley dehydrated. They hospitalized him, and told me that if he didn't start gaining weight by breastfeeding they were going to formula feed him. I had heard about the breastshield from one of the TLC birth shows and I sent my mom to the store to get me one and it worked like a charm! They didn't have to give my son any formula, and he has been solely breastfed ever since! It took about 2-3 weeks for him to latch on his own without the shield. (Honestly I would still love breastfeeding today even if he solely breastfeed with the shield on, he would still be getting breastmilk and we would still have that bond). Now my son is 8wks old and weighs 14.5 pounds, he's a healthy, happy boy! Congrats! & Best of luck to you!

If you do think you need breast shields, you should probably talk to a LC or LLLeader first b/c they can cause problems if they aren't the right size or used correctly.

Gentle Reminder: Breast/Nipple shields should be used ONLY under the guidance of a LLL Leader or lactation consultant. They need to be properly fitted and you need to be instructed on proper use. There are MANY things to try before resorting to the nipple shield.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Gentle Reminder: Breast/Nipple shields should be used ONLY under the guidance of a LLL Leader or lactation consultant. They need to be properly fitted and you need to be instructed on proper use. There are MANY things to try before resorting to the nipple shield.

Jen
    Thanks for letting me know!!