Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbee questions...

Default Newbee questions...

Hello, this is my first time visiting this site and I hope you can be of some help to me I am a first time mom and have a baby girl due on the 13th of September. I have quit my job so that I can be a stay at home mom and care for and breastfeed my baby. This is very important to me. My main concern though is that I have inverted nipples. I have done much reseach on this issue, and I know it is still very possible to breastfeed successfully. I guess it would just be comforting to hear some success stories or to get some reasurance. I also had a few questions... I was given a breastpump and have purchased bottles to include my husband in feeding our baby. Of course we will wait for quite a while before introducing the bottle, but is it a bad idea to introduce it at all with my problem and the possibility of nipple confusion? And what if she has problems for a long period of time and isn't getting enough milk, I would be forced to pump and bottlefeed anyway right? How far would this set me back? Also, is there anything anyone has done to prepare your nipples before birth that has helped make breastfeeding more successful with inverted nipples?

Thank you for any help or answers you can provide!

Default Re: Newbee questions...

have you talked to your local leader?
    Look her up before the baby comes, and get to a meeting if you can.
    You'll learn so much about breastfeeding and mothering and gain some confidance that you will be able to breastfeed.

One of the most important things is going to be getting the baby to get a good latch every single time they breastfeed.
    IF you can learn before the baby comes what a good latch looks like that will help.
    here a good clip to start with
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html
    look around that web site and let me know what you think.
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html
    this is a good one too the clips are on the right hand side.

if your baby does have problems with latch to start with you can always use a cup to feed or another feeding mythod. heres a link about that:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/a...e-feeding.html

Just wanted to say welcome and congrats!! You are very smart by learning early, you will know what to expect
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Congrats on your almost here bundle of joy! You have found a great resource to help you with not only BFing, but many other issues that you cannot even imagine yet

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/flat.html -Here's a link to give you some information about nursing with inverted nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephmama View Post
    I also had a few questions... I was given a breastpump and have purchased bottles to include my husband in feeding our baby. Of course we will wait for quite a while before introducing the bottle, but is it a bad idea to introduce it at all with my problem and the possibility of nipple confusion? And what if she has problems for a long period of time and isn't getting enough milk, I would be forced to pump and bottlefeed anyway right? How far would this set me back? Also, is there anything anyone has done to prepare your nipples before birth that has helped make breastfeeding more successful with inverted nipples?

Thank you for any help or answers you can provide!

My best advice is to take it one day at a time. SInce you will be staying at home, don't worry about the bottles yet. Stay focused on getting your LO on the breast ASAP after delivery and getting the latch/suck down pat. Sadly, people are going to discourage you and tell you all about how they could not BF for one reason or another. My best advice to you is do not pay attention to them. Keep positive thoughts in your head and you will succeed. You might have some hurdles (not everyone does - I was very lucky indeed), but there are rescources, such as this site, that will get you through any trying times!

I strongly recommend Dr. Sears The Breastfeeding Book as it is full of great information that will help you get started and can also be referenced to later. I used to read it as my LO was nursing to make sure we were on the right track!

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing you on the forums

Don't be discouraged by your anatomy. I was in the same boat you are, except that I didn't know it until after the birth. i never realized I was so flat/inverted until the LC told me so. She offered much advice. The first was to work on a good latch, every time, but without becoming frustrated. The second was to use shields to help teach the baby a good latch. The LC at the hospital can help fit you for them and learn to use them properly.

I've been nursing exclusively (and pumping once I went back to work) for almost 15 months. It can be done. Trust yourself.

One thing that encouraged me was another mom who told me, "For thousands of years, man has perservered. And it is not because of evolution or intelligence, but because of the mothers of the world. They did not rely on machines, or devides, but on their bodies and instincts."
    What a humbling thought, that with the proper education and by trusting our bodies, we can all succeed, just as our ancestors did.

Good luck. If there is anything else I can do for you by means of encouragement or support, don't hesitate to ask!

Thank you for all your words of encouragement. I look forward to becoming more involved in this forum, getting to know you ladies, and knowing that I have a good resource for my BF questions!

Thanks again!

I didn't have inverted nipples, but I did have flat nipples. First of all, I would STRONGLY recommend that you find an LLLI leader or a lactation consultant within 48 hours of her birth. My daughter went almost 48 hours without having a single good feeding and lost almost 10 percent of her birthweight because I wasn't as prepared and educated as you are! I would consider wearing nipple shells (Medela makes some great ones) that will start everting your nipple. I started wearing them a few days after she was born, but you could even start wearing them now. I would also consider using a nipple shield for the first few days of nursing. Many people will discourage you from using them due to various legitimate reasons, but I didn't have any problems weaning my baby off of them and straight onto the breast. I also pumped for a minute or so before each feeding to draw my nipples out. Also, I would ask your husband to make every effort to help you within that first week. Ask him not to discourage you. I would not have made it through the first night at home if my husband had not been so supportive and encouraging of breastfeeding. Surround yourself with friends who support breastfeeding, and just know that the ones who may not support it simply don't understand why it's so important to you. If your mother or mother-in-law are near, ask them to come and stay with you the first few nights to take care of your house and the baby so that you can focus on recovering, feeding the baby, and resting! I introduced my daughter to a bottle at 3 weeks, 1 day and she did great, but still doesn't take a pacifier. Just make sure you get a bottle with a wide base which will best simulate the breast. On a personal note, I remember very clearly where you are now and how you will feel when your precious baby is here. Everything gets easier with time, and just remind yourself that you are choosing to do what is best for your baby and for yourself!

You might check out some of the threads on how to involved Dad with baby. DH never fed DS until he started solids (which are still his primary responsibility at 18 months when he's home.) The two of them bonded beautifully without bottles. DH would talk to him, comfort him, change diapers, hold him while he slept, bring him to me, etc. Basically everything except feed him. I had oversupply, so I definitely would have had to have pumped if DH gave a bottle, and honestly, it was much easier to just feed him directly. Of course, it's something you can decide for sure about later, I just wanted to throw our experience out there.

Congrats!!! You will be fine! There are a lot of resources out there for those with inverted nipples!!! You are making a great decision to BF your LO. As far as the bottles go, I originally planned on pumping and giving my lo bottles occasionally, but here we are at 3 months old and Bella has never had a bottle!! It's funny how things never happen the way we expect them to. My husband works from home and I'm having the poor guy bring Bella in to work for me to feed her twice a day!!!

I totally agree with I-Man's Mama,,,100%

My husband is so close to Bella!!! He holds her a lot, plays with her, and changes her!!!

Smile Re: Newbee questions...

I would recommend getting a breastshield before your baby is born, just incase you need to use it. I have flat nipples and my son had difficulty latching on. He lost over a pound by day 2 and was severley dehydrated. They hospitalized him, and told me that if he didn't start gaining weight by breastfeeding they were going to formula feed him. I had heard about the breastshield from one of the TLC birth shows and I sent my mom to the store to get me one and it worked like a charm! They didn't have to give my son any formula, and he has been solely breastfed ever since! It took about 2-3 weeks for him to latch on his own without the shield. (Honestly I would still love breastfeeding today even if he solely breastfeed with the shield on, he would still be getting breastmilk and we would still have that bond). Now my son is 8wks old and weighs 14.5 pounds, he's a healthy, happy boy! Congrats! & Best of luck to you!
    Last edited by mcwise; August 29th, 2007 at 01:59 AM.