Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipation in a bf baby?

Default Constipation in a bf baby?

My ds (10wks) is ebf. When I brought him home I was changing a dirty and wet diaper at every feeding. Then it was only 1 dirty a day. He acted a little uncomfortable but not too much. Then it went to 1 dirty in 2 days. He would cry and be gassy. This weekend it went to 2.5 days and he cried and grunted, tossed and turned for about the last 24 hrs. He still has plenty of wet diapers. His dirty diapers are the same color and consistency as before. I was told by a bottle feeding mom to put a .25 teaspoon of milk-of-magnesia (sp?) in at least 1 bottle a day. (He takes 3 or 4 while I'm at work.) Am I eating something to bother him or what? I know it can lead to big problems if this continues but I don't know what to do. Any advice would be nice. TIA

Default Re: Constipation in a bf baby?

I went through the same thing with my ds. He started off with 2-3 dirties a day and then he decided not to poo for 6 days. We called Chidlren's hospital and they said it was completely normal for bf'd babies to do this. They told us that the baby was using every part of the breast milk and not to worry. My Ds was not feeling uncomfortable or anything out of the ordinary. He would get a little fussy when he went to fart, but he was doing that before. The longest he's gone was 9 days (last week). I think it's called infrequent bowel movements and is normal for breast fed babies. Personally I wouldn't give any meds especially if his poo is normal when it comes out and he doesn't seem too uncomfortable. Just be ready for the blowout when it does come . HTH.

No. Not constipation. Just perfect food that absorbs almost completely and often there is simply no "waste" left over. The longest my son has ever gone w/out going poop is 7 days.But he would regularly go 2-4days without going. I have known women and talked to women here who have had their children regularly go 10-14 days at a time. It's just another perk of breastfeeding. Sometimes you don't have to change poopy diapers every day! Don't worry. All is right in your world. I'd skip the milk of magnesia as well. Not needed.

Way too lazy for formula

Constipation is extremely rare in a BF baby. What your LO is doing is completely normal. BF babies use up all the stuff in the milk, whereas FF babies have a lot more to get rid of (all the fillers and other junk in formula) so they poop a lot more frequently.

I know my neice had gone 2 weeks without a dirty diaper, my LO has so far gone 3 days at a time without. DD#2's doc said it's completely normal and to not be alarmed.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Two of my breast fed babies did this. It is normal but it can lead to discomfort and colicky symptoms. It made my children cry a lot. My midwife recommended stimulating their anal opening so they will poop. I would take q-tip dipped in baby oil and gently insert it just in the front of the anus and rotate it while gently opening it up. Usually my child would poop right away, and the crying would cease. My baby girl is 3 1/2 months old now...she doesn't need me to do this any more, even when she doesn't poop every day she no longer shows signs of discomfort. It helped during those few weeks when her digestive system was maturing.

My lo is very uncomfortable. It isn't a perk to me to have my child in pain every day. My oldest ds has intestinal damage from constipation. It will correct itself (per the Dr.) if we can keep him from getting constipated for several months. He is 13 and has had this problem starting at about 4yrs. My 2nd dc started having the problem at about 6mos but I thought it was because I switched her from bm to abm. She is 6yrs now and hasn't had any problems in just under a year. I tried the q-tip deal last night but it didn't work for ds#2. It worked great for his big sis when she was a baby. The dr keeps telling me it's normal. It isn't normal to have your 13yo at scout camp with poop running down his legs because he didn't know he had to go. (The scoutmaster covered for him thank God) It isn't normal for a k'er to have the class laugh at her until she is crying hysterically for the same reason. (Yes, the teacher was there. ) I don't want this to happen again. It hurts physically and emotionally. I want to stop it before it gets that bad.

It more likely to be gas than consipation...try some mylicon drops or gripe water and see how that works...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

If it isn't constipation why is his belly hard and why does it go everywhere when he finally does go? He finally pooped late last night as dh was rocking him. It went all over ds's clothes and dh's pants. After we got them changed, ds went right to sleep. It was the best he slept in 2 nights. It just seems to be getting worse each time.

I give mylicon drops at least once a day anyway. Hospital employees said it was safe for every bottle and dd needed it a lot.

dr sears has some good info on his web site....
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

most of it's geared twards older kids

CONSTIPATION IN INFANTS UNDER A YEAR
    In addition to the above general tips for preventing and treating constipation at all ages, try these infant-specific tips:
    If formula-feeding, experiment with different formulas to find which one is most intestinal-friendly.
    Feed baby smaller amounts of formula more frequently, which gives the intestines a better chance to properly digest the formula. An easier rule of thumb is to feed half as much twice as often.
    Delay introduction of solid foods, especially more constipating ones, such as rice and bananas. Instead of rice cereal, try barley cereal. Good starter high-fiber foods for constipated infants are pureed pears and prunes.
    Ease the passage of stools using glycerin suppositories or liquid glycerin (as described above).
    Add one teaspoon of flax oil once a day mixed into baby cereal or baby's bottle.
    Watch for about-to-go signs. As soon as your baby begins to grunt, grimace, look bloated, or show signs of straining, quickly insert a glycerin suppository to ease the passage.

Quote Originally Posted by ansley View Post
    If it isn't constipation why is his belly hard and why does it go everywhere when he finally does go? He finally pooped late last night as dh was rocking him. It went all over ds's clothes and dh's pants. After we got them changed, ds went right to sleep. It was the best he slept in 2 nights. It just seems to be getting worse each time.

I give mylicon drops at least once a day anyway. Hospital employees said it was safe for every bottle and dd needed it a lot.
    When a baby who is BF doesn't go for days, it can be explosive like that. It is a bit messy yes. LOs need to get all that out of their system to make room for more I suppose is how it could be said.

A hard belly can just as easily be gas, continue the gas relief drops - give them to your LO just before every feeding and see if that helps. Also drape baby over your legs for added pressure on his tummy.

When my DD#2 gets real gassy I hold her so she's almost sitting on my chest. Her feet are up by my chin and she sits with her body out away from mine. It's not the most comfortable way for me to hold her - but I do what I have to do to try to make her comfortable.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07