Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using the breast as a pacifier

Default Re: Using the breast as a pacifier

Thanks for all the replies! Sometimes, that really is the only way she will be calm enough to fall asleep, and other times she is fine by herself. My mom keeps telling me that I am "spoiling" her and that I need to stop bfing. Even though I tell her that she is way too young to be spoiled lol. And there is no way I am stopping just yet. She is just over 3 months old, so there really is no need to stop. I will look at the list of books from LLL. I don't have very many people around me that support me bfing this long, even though it really isn't long. But all the women on my side of the family never breastfed. And my MIL and SIL both stopped at six weeks so it would be easy to wean. So a good book would be really helpful! Thanks so much again for all the encouragement

I nurse my 7 month old to sleep and I much prefer nursing her to sleep than listen to her scream for hours. You are the mom you do what you think is best for you and your baby. I long ago stopped listening to my daughters ped. about bf or I would've stopped bf a long time ago if I listened to her.

I think it's totally crazy that a doctor told you not to allow your baby to pacify himself/herself at your breast. I mean what did human babies do until plastic binkies were invented? I believe that babies have a sucking need that exceeds their nutrional needs because they are suppose to be held and care for at their mother's breast. Oh man, I would love for a pediatrican to tell me that...
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Sometimes DS falls asleep doing the sucking/paci thing on my nipple. I let him do it for a few minutes but then I break suction and just lay next to him for a bit. I could see how it might go too far if you sit there for a very long time as they suck on your nipple. I guess finding a happy medium of letting your LO find comfort and not letting your boob get too sore is the key!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Now that my LO learned how to latch on properly (he needed a nipple shield until 7 weeks old) he absolutely HATES his binky and wants to use me as a human pacifier. My lactation consultant said it's a bad habit and I should stop letting him do that, but if that's the only way to calm him down or put him to sleep, I think it's ok.
    My bf session usually takes about 30-45 min since he starts out feeding then ends up using me as a pacifier as he puts himself to sleep. He does this at a 2 hour increment around the clock. My nipples are really beat up but I rather have him sleep than scream.

LLL meetings are a great resource if you have them in your area. When I start questioning what I am doing b/c of all the "experts" out there, I always come home from a meeting with a renewed sense of confidence. Just being around moms who are mothering their babies through bfing is so helpful.

IMO you are not spoiling your baby, and you should keep breastfeeding and allow your baby to comfort himself however he needs. He WILL grow out of it eventually! I have found that it just makes much more sense to listen to my baby about what she needs and when she needs it. I find sleep training methods, however baby friendly they claim to be, unnatural and stressful because you're always catering to a goal schedule/routine. Babies' needs are different every day, and a set schedule or way of doing things isn't realistic. Most days my dd prefers to fall asleep nursing, but sometimes she will fall asleep other ways as well. Sometimes she will seem to sleep forever and other days she catnaps. I just feel it's better for me to listen to her instead of forcing any uniform methods on the situation. Be flexible and don't listen to your ped about this.

Little bit of background. My newest is 2 weeks old. He was a 6 week preemie. I have breast fed my other 2. The NICU had never seen a preemie that took to the breast so well. In fact, he took to it a little too well. He REFUSES the bottle. Which was important at the NICU because they needed to monitor what he ate because he was loosing weight. That is the back ground.

This is the problem. My son will not take a bottle, or a nuk and I have very cracked nipples. I am willing to feed through the pain, but I do not want to have to play NUK too.

Does any one know how to get a little one to NOT use them as a NUK?

My daughter did not take the paci till she was a little over 4 weeks. Anytime I put it in her mouth she got really upset, so I pretty much gave up on them. The thing is she wanted to be at my breast all the time and it was very demanding. What I did was when she was calm I would put her NUK paci in her mouth and one day she realized she liked it and has taken it ever since. It did take a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3littlepiggies View Post

This is the problem. My son will not take a bottle, or a nuk and I have very cracked nipples. I am willing to feed through the pain, but I do not want to have to play NUK too.

Does any one know how to get a little one to NOT use them as a NUK?

Have you tried your pinkie, nail side down? It feels more like a nipple.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years