Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When does it end???

Default When does it end???

My 11 week old spits up so much. It seems like he is spitting up everything that he is eating. I hear it's supposed to stop around this age, but it seems still to be so much. Is anyone else experiencing this with their lo? It even comes out through his nose sometimes and he seems uncomfortable when this happens, but I sit there helpless just waiting for him to get it up. Any ideas??

Default Re: When does it end???

My DD is almost 13 weeks old and she still spits a lot. The nurse told me that it was ok as long as she was gaining weight and her diapers were ok. Also, I just nurse one side every feeding and I unlatch her a couple of time for the first 5 minutes everytime I nurse and this seems to help her. ( I have overactive and multiple letdown) This helps but it seems that her system is not mature enough so she still spit every feeding but a little less.
    DD1 for 9mo and DD2 for almost 12mo
    (using a Hotsling, ringsling, and Chimparoo but my favourite one is a Mei Tai)

DS, now 14 months, was an active spitter-upper for many months. It was gross and frustrating, but because he was happy/healthy/growing, the dr said to not worry about it. And we didn't. And it went away. (Came back for a few days when he started crawling, then went away again). Some kids spit, so if the baby is happy/healthy/growing, I would take the "it's a baby thing" approach and wait it out.

If the spitting up seems to be bothering him, you might want to talk to your ped. It could be reflux.

However, I will tell you that Haley is 4 mo and still spits up regularly. The amount of the spitup has significantly decreased, but it still happens. I have a friend with a 5.5 mo, and he spits up all the time too.

Have you considered allergies? Haley spits up TONS when I have too much dairy or corn in my diet. Some mamas have to cut out certain foods entirely. You might want to try eliminating dairy, as that's one of the most common culprits. Make sure to read labels for hidden dairy (it's in everything, it seems!). And give it 2-3 weeks for the dairy to get totally out of your system. See if there's any difference. You can then reintroduce and see if you notice a return to the old ways.

Some babies just spit up a lot, and it takes different amounts of time for different babies to grow out of it. It may just be a "laundry problem," but I'd definitely consider food allergies and talk to the ped. if your LO is uncomfortable.

Check out kellymom for more info. HTH!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

it doesn't seem to bother him at all...just me and having to carry extra clothes everywhere because I get urped on...thanks for the input. I have tried changing my diet and have figured out some things that really upset him, but really hte diet change made no difference. I think it;s more of a laundry issue, but was wanting to hear how long other people's lo's spit up. thanks for the advice, will try a few new things.

DS would spit up if you even thought about moving him after a feeding. He still does it at least once a day (6months old), usaully since he likes to roll onto his tummy right after eating It got to the point that I wouldn't even dress him since I was changing his clothes so much, I figured it was summer anyway who needs clothes.

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

my 4mo old still spits up a LOT - but more when I eat onions/chocolate or have too much caffeine.

He is what is termed a 'happy spitter' meaning he is growing fine and showing no discomfort. Ped said make sure I have lots of burp rags

Diet is the biggest issue with us - one onion ring - or one nibble of an onion on a sammich or in a salad and Gabe is spewing cottage cheese everywhere. So might want to keep a diary of your food to see if there is anything that could be irritating him

It is often recommend that you keep your LO upright for 30 minutes after feeding so that gravity can help keep the milk down (if the reason for the urping is that his esophageal flap is not fully developed yet). Also, take care not to let him get into a position that puts pressure on his belly, such as knees pulled up to ribs. However, I have learned with Haley that it's best just to not move her at all. If I try to put her upright, the change in position seems to make her spit up just as much. She also tends to pull her knees up a lot, so it's sort of her own fault!

Sounds like it's definitely just a laundry problem! I'm so used to having burp cloths around that sometimes at the end of the day I gather them up and have a whole pile that I've just trailed around the house! And on days when she doesn't spit much at all, I feel sort of weird because I'm so used to it!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

For us spitting up stopped around 7 to 8 months old! Believe me - you'll get there, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Paula
    Mom to Cody 2/3/92
    Mommy to Kaeden 10/06/06

My 2 1/2 month old has this problem too! Something that has helped us A LOT is giving him a binky while holding him at the breast BEFORE a feeding. It was explained to me that if baby is not getting enough suck time, they will overeat at the breast to fulfill the sucking they need. If you supply suck time BEFORE nursing, then eating will be for filling a belly. If you don't do binkies, I'm sure a finger or w/e would work just fine too. My LO spits a TON and since I've started doing this, I've seen a major decrease. HTH!