Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using the breast as a pacifier

Default Using the breast as a pacifier

Sometimes, I will let her use my breast as a pacifier. I was told by her pedi not to do that, but she won't take a regular pacifier. For some reason, she will not suck on it unless I am holding it up to her mouth. So before she goes down for a nap or at bedtime and during the night, I will let her just fall asleep while latched on. I keep getting told that I am just forming a bad habit, and she will never learn to self soothe. But it isn't every time that she does that. For some reason, sometimes she just has to suck on something, and I don't feel like standing over her crib holding her pacifier to her mouth until she falls asleep. Am I doing the wrong thing by letting her use me that way?

ericsmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Using the breast as a pacifier

My sons never took pacifiers. My first found his fingers, and my second doesn't use anything but me. I still nurse him before each nap and before bed- and I always have. Sometimes he falls asleep and sometimes he doesn't. When he doesn't I put him in his crib like always and he fusses a bit and then falls asleep. I have given him a few "lovies" so he can cuddle them. So he has learned to self soothe, and I have let him use me as a pacifier. I think at some point your breast won't work and she won't fall asleep all the time. At that point she'll to learn to fall asleep on her own. I don't see why you have to train her now.
    Last edited by ericsmom; August 27th, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

according to books that I have read, by helping your baby to fall asleep, whether it be rocking, pacifier, breast or any other way does them a disservice. Your baby needs to learn to fall asleep by themselves so that into their toddler years you aren't still having the same problem with them falling asleep.

A great book to read is Baby Wise. Has helpful information in there.

Ok, thanks a bunch. I will pick up that book next time I am out doing errands. She has started fighting sleep really really bad, so that is why I was wondering about this. Although, I can put her in her swing and she will fuss a little, but fall asleep herself now.

I don't see a problem in using the breast as a pacifier. The more sucking done at the breast the better the milk supply whether it is for comfort or for nurishment. There is more to BFing then just feeding your baby. Establishing a bond and being able to comfort your baby is just as impotant IMO.

if I had to pick between the 2 it wouldbe nrsing...you're fine
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I think Babywise is not the best method. just my opinion.

Your baby is an infant and needs your comfort.

Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I couldn't disagree more with the pp who said you are doing a disservice by helping your LO to sleep. Imagine for a minute that are you all alone in a new place, the lights are out, the only person that you know you can trust has left you there! No way, no how... If my baby needs me to sleep, I should be honoured that to be so needed by this helpless infant and cherish the moment because they won't last.

I put my son down every single night and he won't sleep otherwise. I am thrilled to be helping him sleep better, longer and more comfortably.

And for the parents, it's the same thing. It gets them to sleep with less fussiness, and it a smoother transition from awake to sleep. Trust me, no child ever went to college needing his mommy to put him to sleep.

If your LO needs you, let him need you. You're all he knows in this big confusing world.

Let your LO use you, if it does not hurt. If it starts to hurt you, then hold her and hold in the paci if that's what's needed. It'll definatly save on your back if you have to go that route.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

If you are thinking about a book, you might want to check out the Sear's Books. The Baby Book is a good overview of bfing, sleep, development, illness and attachment parenting. They have a lot of other books in their library about specific subjects. With whatever you read, you want it to resonate with you and not make you feel uncomfortable. You might read some reviews on amazon before deciding which books to get. LLL also has a book list of books you might want to check out. http://www.llli.org/BEC/addit.html (I don't think you'll find Babywise on there...)

It sounds like you are okay with comforting your lo at the breast, so go with your gut (not the pedi.) DS is 18 mo right now and I still parent him to sleep, but like the pp pointed out, he will go to sleep on his own at some point. When he is older, he will have better tools to do that, so we will make the transition later.
    Last edited by I-Man's Momma; August 27th, 2007 at 05:10 PM.