Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sore nipples from pumping

Default sore nipples from pumping

I just pumped for the first time today for 25 minutes...
    the breast sheilds don't appear to be too small but my nipples are so sore!
    and the tips of them are like purple/black. are they bruised from the suction?
    and also there are red lines on them that look like they could turn into cracks on my nipples. I put lanolin on them but I was just wondering if this is normal till I get use to pumping. I'm only going to be pumping once a day.

Default Re: sore nipples from pumping

It takes a while to get used to pumping but also the suction could have a role too - do you have an adjustable suction option? I have the PSIA and have mine turned down to just enough that is needed.

Try not to pump longer than 20min at a time, if you need more milk add in an extra pumping session instead of going longer. It sounds like your pump is turned up too high. What kind of pump are you using? If you have an adjustable one, turn it down, if not you might want to consider getting a better pump. If your pump doesn't have a let-down phase, turn it on really low until your milk lets down, then up a little higher, but never to the point where it hurts or feels really uncomfortable.

I suggest getting the larger horns...minimizing pain is worth the money and time it will save you.

my custom horns from ameda are a god send gift...I would only trade them for the following items:

2 days worth of sleep
    3 gallons of breast milk and
    small bottle of jose cuervo
    If she didnt reach for me at birth I still wouldn't believe that she's all mine.

Terrible 2s dont exist... Who am I kidding?!?

hello! i pump several times per day and my poor nips still hurt bout the first 5 min everytime and then theyre fne. i have a pisa and i usse different size horns all the time to minimize the soreness. hth goodluck!

If you can't adjust the suction, you might be able to use less power for the pump - I have a universal adapter on mine so that I can adujst the power level if I need to. Not sure if this will work with all pumps though, but my medela pump requires "6-12 volts" so I adjust within that range.

thanks everyone,
    I have a medella electric pump. I'll try turning down the suction, if that doesn't work, I'll get bigger horns (or whatever they're called).
    But I am trying to pump till I'm empty to get some hindmilk in the bottles. and I'm pumping for 30 mins and milk is still coming out! is this normal? is it because I am pumping at a low speed? I really want to empty out my breasts though, is it okay to keep pumping till the milk stops coming out?

Honestly, the suction on my pump is almost as low as it goes - literally touching the corner of the "n" in min. I use either 7.5 or 9 volts, usually, and I leave it on level 1 until it doesn't hurt any more, then move to 2 until it doesn't hurt, and so on up to 5. If I'm hurting, I'll stop after 15 minutes, but usually I go for 20. Never past 25. You'll never be able to pump enouggh to empty your breasts, since they continue to produce while you pump. You WILL, though, be able to make your nipples too swollen to get the milk out without a lot of pain and difficulty, and that's not fun. With my son (now two) I pumped for a year, and it's not that bad once you get used to it. It's hard at the start though.

i pumped for 11 months due to the fact that i have extremely large nipples and would only be able to pump or formula feed.so i have experienced the whole range of discomforts that are associated with pumping ...number one always put a good coat of lanolin on your nipples before starting to pump yes it will get your sheilds a little gummy by the time you are done but trust me it does feel so much better secondly measure your nipples around the hard part as you ma have sheilds that are not the appropriate size .the sheilds go by mm and like everyone else has said on here for sure have it on the LOWEST setting for approx 2-3 min than ease it up a bit until you can see your milk actually spraying out if this does not happen try to massage your breasts firmly close to your underarms and than forward as you may just be a little clogged it is also good to do a good massage for about 5 min before you pump it helps the milk to flow better remember this is not quite the same as a baby sucking so it is a little more work to relieve your breasts