Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Using a cup

Default Using a cup

Do LOs take a long time to learn to use a cup? DS has no interest in his cup with water. I give him a little water by spoon because I read he has to have some when he starts solids. ????
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Default Re: Using a cup

My DD just turned 1 and it's only been within the past month to month and a half that she's really 'gotten' the concept of drinking out of a sippy cup. There are a couple things you can do while he's learning...1. don't use the stopper in the lid. This helpd DD understand how a cup works without actually having to suck hard to get the H2O. 2. use a straw...put your finger on one end to trap the water and then you can control the flow. 3. use a normal cup...very carefully and slowly(be warned that this can get messy!). I'd just offer her a cup with the stopper thing in it every day and eventually she got it.

My DS is really open to new experiences. We started a cup at about 6 months (he is now 7 mos.) and he did really well with it.

My LO hated the ones with the stopper until just in the last month, she'll be one next week.

I started her out with some I see at Wal-Mart. They are in a combo bag with forks, spoons, cups, bowls, and snack bowls, with lids and sippy lids. They are advertised to be throw away ones and are multi-colored plastic. I used the snack bowls as cups and the sippy lids fit on them. The cups in the pack are too long for her to handle well.

She LOVED these sippy cups. I'd still use them if they were stronger. She's to the point where she'll throw them down to run after a dog and they crack because she chunks them so hard.

I always had one around during solid feedings and when she started crawling I kept on in her reach all day. She eventually got the hang of it and would go get it when she wanted. I don't think she really started regularly using them like you would expect until she was 9 mos old or so.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

My twins didn't start using a sippy until 18 mos even though I started offering one around 7 mos. My youngest started using one at 8 mos. I think it's just an individual thing. All you can do is keep offering.

I don't think you HAVE to offer water at all. Of course, it doesn't hurt things, but it's not a must. That's what breastmilk is for.

You might try different brands of sippies too. I tried 3-4 with all my kids before they settled on one they would drink out of. A lot of people have good luck with the Nubys because they're so soft on the top. Ours got destroyed in a day because DS just chewed on the top, but it might work for you!

Thanks for the advice ladies! I have sippy cup tops for Avent bottles, Gerber sippy cups that I brought back from the U.S. and The First Years (I think) disposable sippy cups. I've only been giving him the Avent bottle/sippy cup. I removed the plastic thing and the water came out much more easily. I'll just keep trying with the other kinds.

It's really so hard to know what to do re:water. LLL says one thing, the APA says another, my baby food book says another. I trust this website and mamas' advice much more than the APA but, my gosh!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I give Michael a little water with his cereal.. actually i use water for his cereal, but anyway, I give it to him in a cup. We tried different sippy cups, and M. didn't get it. We tried a straw, of course he didn't get that BUT he is starting to get the cup! I think the cup is easier!
    Proud Mommy to Michael who is 3 now! Michael was nurseynursed for 2 years!!
    I did not make up this persona, but if I did, I would make myself 50 pounds lighter and 5 years younger!!!!