Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: frustrated...

Default frustrated...

I am a first time mother working my way through breastfeeding. My LO is now 12 days old, and has been cluster feeding for the past couple of days.
    When I hold him, he tends to sleep longer. As soon as I put him down, no more than 30 minutes elapse and then he is crying and rooting again.

I've tried pumping, but can only get about 1/4oz out at a time, and at which point he is ready to feed again anyway.

He has plenty of wet diapers, but he won't poop. His pediatrician says that it is perfectly normal, that not all babies poop daily. Some go up to a week. He hasn't pooped on his own accord in 8 days, and provoked (by a suppository) for 4 days. Has anyone else experienced this?

Help!!!

Default Re: frustrated...

Cluster feeding at 12 days is totally normal! It's also not uncommon for babies to sleep longer when they're being held. They've just spent 40 weeks being held - that's all they know. If you really feel you need to move around the house while your LO wants to be held, I would suggest a sling or a wrap. My son spent many many hours in the wrap, and I would do laundry, surf the internet, or take a walk to the post office.

At 12 days old, pumping a 1/4 ounce is not that bad! A baby can (and will) get a lot more than a pump, because they're just better at milking the breast. Are you pumping just to get some relief from constantly nursing (hoping that someone else can bottle feed him)?

Babies that are exclusively breast fed can go up to 2 weeks without pooping! It does sound alarming, but again, it's totally normal. The reason why formula-fed babies poop more often is because there are additional "fillers" in formula that aren't in breast milk. Breast milk is digested more thoroughly, thus there is less waste that needs to be pooped out. In such a young baby, I would only let a doctor administer a suppository. Unless your baby is really in pain from not pooping (highly unlikely if he's BFing), I would simply wait.

:

I was a little freaked when my kid went approx 5 days without pooping. The ped told me that a BF baby can go 10 days or more and it's fine. BM is digested more. DS would go 7 days and then I would be rewarded with a wammie of a poop!!
    New babies feed pretty much constantly. I wouldn't even worry with pumping if you don't have too. I would always freak out about how much I "wasn't" pumping. It just stressed me out too much. I finally had to learn to trust my body. As long as the baby has plenty of wet dipes, you are doing fine in the milk dept. They will always get more milk sucking than you will ever get by pumping because the way the milk is extracted is different. You are getting ready to hit the 3 week growth spurt. Just hang on for the ride and you will get through it!!!! I promise. Come here for any support you need. These girls are great here.
    DS would only nap for 30 minutes if I laid him down but would sleep for hours when I held him or put him on my chest. They are used to that warmth. It's comforting to them. It's pretty normal. I'm so glad you found this site so early to get your questions answered!!! Good for you!!

Things that I tried to helpbaby sleep longer

1. Swaddling tight... they like to feel like they did in the womb
    2. Make sure it was warm where I laid him...
    3. I finally started putting him on his side, then to his belly

HTH
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Thanks for all the encouragement.

I used the suppository at the dr's suggestion, and it did work. It has been almost a week since that and he hasn't pooped. He is gasious but that is about it. It is a bit disconcerting that you hear about babies pooping a lot, and then yours doesn't. I appreciate the words of enlightenment.

I couldn't swaddle him very well for a couple of days because he was on a biliblanket for jaundice, and it prevented the swaddle. I tried last night as he is no longer on the bili, and he cried and cried until I gave up and cuddled him for the night. I am just sick of people telling me that I am teaching him a bad habit by holding him all the time. I know at such a young age it doesn't matter, that they know no different, but still it puts that bit of doubt in there!

You are so right, hold him and love him all you want! Don't doubt yourself and stay encouraged
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Do what feels right. You will know when it is time to lay him down to sleep. He just has to get used to the world.

Everything you describe is normal baby stuff, even the days w/o poo!!

Hang in there, as the weeks go by it gets easier.

Don't listen to anyone who says you are spoiling your baby or forming bad habits...your LO is just brand new to this world...you're all he's known. Hold him all the time if you want...soon he'll be all grown up and not needing your holding.

and the BFing will get easier.

Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years