Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not interested... not ready?

Default Not interested... not ready?

My DS turned 6 months this weekend and over the past week I've tried him with tiny amounts of food, diluted with BM. He pulls a face every time like I've just made him bite a lemon! Makes me feel guilty. I've tried him with baby rice cereal (on health visitor's advice - not my first choice of food), bananas, apples, avocado, pears, peas and today, mashed potatoe. He watches me eat with interest, open wide for a mouthfull then makes that face and spits it all out. I've made it all very liquid, and only given a tiny amount on the end of a plastic spoon. Does this mean he's just fussy and I should persist? Is this normal and he'll get used to it or should I stop as he isn't ready yet. I've read some of the info on LL and he shows all the signs of being ready except he doesn't yet have his pincer grasp. So... don't know if I should stop and try again in a few weeks or keep trying little mouthfulls every day in the hope that either he'll get used to it or I'll find something he likes. He does seem to be very hungry all the time (he'll never ever refuse an offer of boob and eat every hour or hour and a half day and night although he's also teething at the mo'). Advice please!
    Finn - born 24/02/2007 7lb 6oz

Default Re: Not interested... not ready?

Sounds to me like he may be almost ready but not quite ready yet.

Something to look into - have you considered doing a baby led approach to solids? You start offering baby foods after 6 mo that baby can self feed and let baby decide to eat when he/she is ready. Some babies jump right into solids, others experiment with food but don't eat much until they are more like 8 or 9 mo old.

Some good foods for baby to practice with:
    avocado,
    sweet potato,
    bananas

Here are the guidelines.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've read lots about this, and am first aid trained but still super- hyper- mega- neurotic about the choking hazard Perhaps I should just continue exclusively bf till he's, like, 12 or something I did give him a big lump of cucumber to chew or to relieve teething pain and he LOVED it but started gagging on the lumps that he didn't spit out and then finally puked in a big way - shocked us both and made me feel bad for him.

It can be very distressing and dramatic to watch - but gagging is a normal part of babies learning how to correctly manipulate food in their mouth. We started baby led solids soon after DS turned 6 mo. He was very excited and got some food into his mouth, but gagged and then threw up. I took it as a sign that DS wasn't quite ready for solids yet so we waited and offered him foods occasionally without any pressure to eat. My DS occasionally got some food into his mouth but wasn't a really eager eater until he was about 8 or 8.5 mo old.

As I understand it - the theory behind baby led solids is that the baby's ability to self feed (pick up foods and put them in own mouth unassisted) coincides with their readiness to eat and loosing their tongue thrust reflex.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

In answer to your original question, I agree that it sounds like he isn't ready. No problem. Just put it all away and try again it two weeks. People start talking about children being interested in their food as early as four months. It's a mistake. They are interested in what we eat in the way they are interested in EVERYTHING we do. Around four months someone turns on the whole world for them and they are just curious about EVERYTHING and watching us intently. They are as interested in what you are eating as they are in that shiny coke can. But you wouldn't give the baby coke right? They are NOT associating anything on your plate with actual hunger and in reality won't actually associate solid food with hunger for MONTHS after they start experimenting with food. It's just exploration is taste and texture for a very long time. So if your baby isn't ready to taste things (and his facial expressions let you know in no uncertain terms that he NOT) just put it away and try again in two weeks. If he's still not interested, try two weeks after that. There is really no rush. You provide all your child's nutritional needs for the 1st year. And believe me, the novelty of feeding wears off fairly quickly. It's work. Cleaning up after solid alone is huge. Not to mention all the time and energy that has to go into what we decide to put in our children. Enjoy the no mess, no hassle,simple sure answer of your breast for as long as you can!

Way too lazy for formula

Hoorah! Yes, I agree. If he's hungry: boob. If he's upset: boob. Tired: boob. Bored: boob. It's magic. And I realise that offering a boiled carrot is just not going to have the same effect I was worried that he might be hungry though. He'll never say no to the offer of boob and wakes up very frequently at night. He recently has been getting a bit angry when I don't letdown as quickly as he'd like and I hate the thought of him having an empty tummy. He is gaining but not at the same rate he was before. I will delay food for a while, perhaps I'll work up the nerve to give him the odd bit of avocado or banana to suck on some time. Thanks for your help.

But again, they don't associate solids with hunger at all and neither should you. And breastfed children often slow way down on weight gain at or around 6months. That's normal. As soon as they "get moving" they don't gain as quickly because they are now burning calories. For example. My son gained approximately 14oz a week from birth until 4&1/2 months. At that point he weighed 17lbs and some change. He was 8lbs 2oz at birth. He slowed all the way down to about 31/2 oz a week when we introduced the Johnny Jumper. He only weighed 19 lbs by the he was 11months old or something like that. It's nothing to worry about. It's all normal.

Way too lazy for formula