Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Curdled Yellowish Thick Spit-Up...?

Default Curdled Yellowish Thick Spit-Up...?

Hi - I'm new to this forum. I just had my 3rd son, and it's my 3rd time breastfeeding (one boob at a time, burping frequently during the feeding). He's 3 weeks old, and constantly spitting up in between feedings. Most often it's yellowish-white and curdled, and he seems to be in pain. Thought it was due to immature digestive system and/or stong letdown while nursing. Any advice or thoughts...? could it be due to dairy in my diet? my doctor says to wait one month before medication for possible reflux.

Default Re: Curdled Yellowish Thick Spit-Up...?

If it's curdled it sounds more like vomit than spit-up, unfortunately I do not have an answer. Wait for a leader or someone with experience with this issue to come along, it might take a while for some advice, but it'll come.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

My daughter had curdled spit-up often, I assumed it was because it had been sitting in her tummy longer than when she spit up more fluid-like stuff, and it never turned out to be a problem; but it was only yellowish in color when she had a little cold (the color was swallowed mucus, which coincidentally can upset the tummy) - does your little one have the sniffles? Any regular coughing? It could be from dairy, but if your baby is allergic to dairy there would probably be other signs of allergic reaction.

Sounds exactly like what my dd was doing before she was put on Zantac for reflux. She was actually vomitting after feedings and it looked similar to what you are describing. Every now and then she still does it, especially when it's nearing the time for her to take her medicine again because the last dose has begun to wear off. Does your daughter ever appear to be in pain while eating (pulls off and screams or arches her back)? That's another symptom of reflux, although I've been told that not all reflux babies do this.

Heres a good link. Hope this helps.

http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html#normal

thanks!