Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Early Solids - Guilt for trying at 5 months - other suggestions?

Default Re: Early Solids - Guilt for trying at 5 months - other suggestions?

I have been told that it takes about 2 hours for your breasts to fill up again properly - less than that and they would still have some milk, but possibly just foremilk, which may quench their thirst and fill them for a bit, but can encourage babies to "snack" rather than take full feeds. I am sure this is not true for everyone, but it did seem to be the case with me - if my baby tried to feed any more frequently than about 90 minutes between feeds, he got just a few mouthfuls and then cried!

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzerT View Post
    I have been told that it takes about 2 hours for your breasts to fill up again properly - less than that and they would still have some milk, but possibly just foremilk
    I think it is the opposite, the less milk you have in your breast the more fat it has, so it is almost entirely hindmilk. It is my understanding that if you continuously nurse between 5-7 pm, for example, for a couple of days your baby will remove all the extra milk in your breasts and your body will learn that you need more milk and start producing more between 5-7pm everyday. So even if you have nursed at 4pm, you will still have the same amount of milk in your breasts by 5pm although it has only been an hour. Breasts can produce up to 4 oz of milk per hour if there is demand.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVJunJul01p54.html

That's a good article you recommended - many of my friends stopped breastfeeding very early on becuase they "didn't have enough milk" when in fact they all started supplementing on high frequency feed days with formula - which of course means they were making even less. Sometimes I really wonder where the health visitors in the UK get their info - I thought they would have the most up to date information but it really varies a lot. The lady I saw today was shocked that the other HV recommended formula as well - as it was, my boy put on 10 ounces in a week - that explains his massive feeding frenzy!

My baby is 5.5 months. We started her on solids last week. The same thing pretty much happened to us. She was hungrier and hungrier and started waking up at night. She also wanted to grab everything she saw off the table when we were eating and gets really mad if she isn't sitting at the table. So it was obvious to us that she was ready for solids. I personally don't feel a couple of weeks make a big difference. She still gets breastmilk first, but she is more content now with the extra calories from the food. Don't feel guilty if you think your baby is showing signs of being ready.

I think your instincts are right about continuing to breastfeed and not switching to formula. That just seems pointless, and would be hard on his tummy too. As far as the frequency of feeding, I can say that my experience has been exactly as a previous poster said--if you feed more often, your body will get the message to have more milk available. I pump every morning around 6am, then feed Thomas at 7am and have had no problems. I think if you feed him when he tells you he's hungry, you'll be fine!
    Last edited by Thomas's Mum; August 29th, 2007 at 03:51 PM. Reason: correcting dumb mistake

One thing to keep in mind is that you need to start solids very slowly. It takes a while for their little bodies to learn to digest solids, and it can make them gassy and/or constipated. I started DD at about 5 1/2 months, but it wasn't untill about 7-8 months that she started eating enough to really add to her calories for the day. So even if you do go ahead on the solids, you probably won't (and really shouldn't) see much of a difference in the amount of nursing sessions that DS will need.