Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early Solids - Guilt for trying at 5 months - other suggestions?

Unhappy Early Solids - Guilt for trying at 5 months - other suggestions?

I think I am a victim of too much information. My little guy is 5 months old next week, and we have been happily breastfeeding exclusivley since he was born. However in the last few weeks, my normally contented baby has started needing feeds every 2 hours during the day (previously he went over 3 hours between feeds) and has increased his night waking from one single-boob 2am feed to 3 double-boob feeds!

I live in the UK, where they are adamant that babies should not get any solid food until 6 months old, and the health visitor at the baby clinic advised that rather than slowly start introducing solids to help with his hunger, I should switch completely to formula!!!??? This seems rather counter-intuitive to me - yes, he would sleep through the night and require less feeds, but if I need to start him on solids in about 4 weeks anyway, would it not be better for him to continue breastfeeding through the high frequency and simply start him on solids slowly now and work up to more solids so he needs less milk? I really, really want to continue breastfeeding even past the 6 months and I believe starting solids is the way to go - we tried some breastmilk babyrice and he LOVED it, wanted more! Has this happened to anyone else? I feel rather guilty going against their advice but I really feel I am right on this one...

anonymous Guest

Default Re: Early Solids - Guilt for trying at 5 months - other suggestions?

First, formula or solids will not mean a baby sleeps through the night. There is no magic pill. Studies have shown both make no difference really.

In the UK some HV's push early solids others don't. They are right that *most* babies don't need solids before 6 months. What does formula have to do with this though I wonder? As babies are suppose to be breastfeed for AT LEAST 6 months in the UK. (WHO says 2 years)

have a look at this link
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/solids.html

How does your baby compare?

You have to remember your the mother, you know your baby better than anyone.

Your HV is out of line suggesting formula. Don't feel guilty for not listing, If I was you I would report her, as she could be having many mothers stop breastfeeding for no reason

I know that my baby is not *supposed* to need anything other than breastmilk for the first 6 months - but nursing so frequently means he misses out on a lot of other things during the day and is suffering for all the waking he is now doing at night, from hunger. Have other breastfeeding mothers experienced this? I am worried about him as he is burning off all that he eats, and I can't feed him more frequently than every 2 hours off the breast - it seems to me that in this case, my baby does in fact NEED more food, and I really would prefer that be baby rice with breastmilk or foods that will not contribute to allergy than stop bf'ing and replace with formula - when I asked the health visitor about this, she did in fact say that the NHS line on this is that a hungry baby before 6 months should be switched to forumla if breastfeeding is not able to keep up rather than switch to solids.

it seems like really strange advice to switch to formula i personally think. i would not do that unless that is what i wanted to do. i know what you mean i think- sometimes my doc tells me something and i kind of just nod and smile then do what i want and i worry that i am making the wrong decision, I do *think* about what she says but i do not always agree......but if i did something i didn't think was right that would be worse. I am trying to trust myself and dh more because in the end we are the ones who know are babies the best and sometimes docs just have a bunch of recommendations that do not always take individual families into account. wow, that got long....sorry...

heres a good link
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan00p130.html

baby just might be going thought a period of growth, they all do that where they want to nurse round the clock!

Nothing magical happens to any baby when then turn EXACTLY 6 months old.

I was planning to wait until the magic day as well but it became more than obvious that my daughter was ready and that I was holding her back. She was watching us eat with envy.

However, the biggest growth spurt ever was at 5 months, so once we made it through that I started her about 2 weeks prior to her 6 month bday.

Do what you thionk is best, don't wait for a magic day because it doesn't exist!

anonymous Guest

It's strange advice given that solids has LESS calories than breastmilk. Formula has about the same amount of calories as breastmilk, so there is no benefit for the baby to have that if they are hungry.

My son went through a growth spurt around 5-5.5 months and he became exactly like you described the only difference being he would refuse to BF during the day and would want to do so all night. I didn't have that much milk in the evenings and he didn't have the patience to continue sucking to increase my supply so we started rice cereal too. Once the growth spurt was over he didn't even need it but he was past 6 months so we slowly started solids. I think the advice about switching to formula is ridiculous. How will it help?? I will suggest slowly start solids like once a day when your baby seems most hungry. There may be times he wants to eat more or less and that's fine. In the end mommy's milk is the best thing for him.

Desperate, thank you for that - I actually think you may be right, he does seem to be tapering off back to his normal amount now, but he did love that breastmilk baby rice! I think I will continue to give him tastes of various solid foods once a day, nothing to decrease his appetite for breastmilk but just enough to sate his curiousity about food and get him really good and ready for increasing his solids once he does pass that 6 month mark. Thanks to all for replying, sometimes all you need is a little support to bolster what you already think is best for your baby - I'm just happy I posted here rather than listening to the health visitor and replacing his breastmilk with formula!

Quote Originally Posted by ShazzerT View Post
    I can't feed him more frequently than every 2 hours off the breast - it seems to me that in this case, my baby does in fact NEED more food
    why can't you feed more than every 2 hrs?
    my son was eating every hour around that age. and until a month ago was still waking 6-8 times a night... many babies do, for hunger but also for other reasons.
    though i do think you should stick w/the breastfeeding and offer early solids (if necessary) rather than wean to formula. JMO
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06