Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: eating enough?

Default eating enough?

My 3 1/2 mo old recently weaned herself off the nipple shield (yea!) but she now eats in about 5-10 minutes about 5 times a day (she sleeps through the night 9-7) She seems satisfied and goes through diapers like crazy (8-10 a day) Is it possible she's getting everything she needs in that little time? I try to feed her more and she's not interested...

Default Re: eating enough?

It's not just possible it is probably the case! If your going through that many diapers a day she is more than likely fine!
    Jackie

"Breastfeeding is an unsentimental metaphor for how love works, in a way. You don't decide how much and how deeply to love--you respond to the beloved, and give with joy exactly as much as they want."
    ~ Marni Jackson"

My daughter who is 7 weeks old is also a pretty fast eater. She can eat in as little as 4 minutes but may take as long as 10, this is total time not on each breast. This has been going on for a couple of weeks and I was concerned that she was not getting enough to eat so I took her in for a weight check. As of yesterday she weighed 13 pounds that is up 2 pounds from her 5 week visit. The doctor came in the room and said, "so why is she here", I told him I was concerned that she wasn't eating enough, he took one look at her and said not to worry she is definitely getting enough to eat . I told him about her fast feeding sessions and he said that she is thriving and there is no need to fix something that isn't broke. To put your mind at ease take her to the doctors for a weight check but honestly if she has 8-10 diapers a day and does not seem hungry then I think you are doing great!!

Believe me I know it seems odd that they can eat that fast but they can.

my 3month old does the same thing but she seems full and diapers are good so dont worry!

All kids eat at different speeds - I was soooo grateful to have 2 speed eaters!!!! My LO nursing now likes to take his time . . . it's rough when I have a 3 yo and a 21 month old running around the house while I'm nursing!!! Definitely if diaper output is good, you have nothing to worry about