Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the problem with pacifiers...

Default the problem with pacifiers...

well we finally found one that my lo will take, but know i am not sure if he's feeding enough....I haven't paid alot of attention to his diaper output (but will start now) i know yesterday he didn't have a bm...but he had an explosive one today.... he stops feeding to burp, but won't take the breast again, but will take pacifier. 10 mins later he is cry like he's hungry but gets really fussy at breast (which normally is his way at saying i am done).... we needed to satisfy his sucking for comfort when i am not avaliable

Anytips/advice
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Default Re: the problem with pacifiers...

help apperciated
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I can offer you personal experience, no medical advice. First of all, biggest sign that baby is getting enough is diaper output, both wet and poopy. Some EBF babies will poop multiple times a day, or have a specific time of day they will ALWAYS poop. Others will poop once every few days. All of those scenarios are normal. Just so long as baby seems happy, is thriving, and has plenty of diapers (lack of wet/poopy diapers is a sign of dehydration, along w/ other signs (I found these signs at kellymom.com)

# fewer than 2 wet diapers in a 24-hour period
    # baby not behaving normally (more irritable, less active, sleeping more)
    # lethargy
    # listlessness
    # weak cry
    # no tears (in an infant older than 3 months)
    # dry mouth
    # skin that stays wrinkly-looking when pinched (pull up the skin on the front of the hand; it should pop easily back into place - not stay pinched or wrinkly-looking)
    # eyes that look sunken
    # cool, clammy extremities, especially the fingers and toes
    # fast breathing, or a heart that is beating faster than usual
    # fever

Sooooo given baby is getting enough, I think pacifiers are one of the BEST inventions EVER!!!! All of my kids have taken binkies, and I cannot tell you how glad I am. There is an ever growing debate on whether they should or should not be given, but I think that's totally up to the individual mama. If I didn't give DS2 a binky, I would be a 24/7 milk shop and I couldn't emotionally or physically handle that. Often babies suck on mama for comfort even if they are not hungry - I'm sure you can notice the different sucks your baby has. If he is getting enough non-nutritive sucking from the binky, then he will no longer need to use you as a human binky. So if you feel as though a pacifier is a good choice for your family, by all means go for it. From personal experience, 6 months is a GREAT time to take it away . . . they won't be too attached to it yet but they are able to find other ways to self soothe. Good luck and I HTH!

Like PP, I pacifiers. My lo is using one right now-- it's the only thing that can really soothe him while he is teething. He doesn't like to comfort nurse-- never really has (prolly due to my oald). Though his most favorite thing right now it sucking on binky while being held by Mama

The only problem I have with the binky right now is sometimes I'll put him to bed with it, and then he wakes up a couple hours later crying because the binky is jammed into his neck or head. But usually I can prevent that by going into his room once he's asleep and spit out the binky and placing the binky away from his head.

usually my lo gets fussy at the breast if he's sleepy-- or sometimes he's sleepy AND hungry at the same time, which is never a good combination... Using a binky in this instance helps to satisfy his need to have something to suck on while also relaxing him enough to get a nap (even if it's only fifteen minutes long) before nursing again.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

I felt the same way when my DD first took the paci. She used to comfort nurse and then when I finally got her to take the paci her nursing sessions got super fast (around 6 mins). I thought, oh no, now what have I done. I was so nervous that she was not getting enough to eat but one trip to the doctors office proved quite the opposite was happening. I always try to offer my LO more and if she takes one suck and pulls away then I take that as a sign that she is done.