Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting worried

Default Getting worried

Oliver is 9 months old and has NO interest in solids. Nothing. None.

I have tried a variety of foods, and even the fingers foods ~ but he plays with it and refuses to put any in his mouth.

He is happy and still EBF every 2 hours during the day. He hasn't been weighed for ages (still have issues since the whole weight thing when he was tiny). He is active, crawling EVERYWHERE...lol, pooping well, a real joy...

But his bby check is soon and I know I am going to get stick, if you remember they wanted him on solids at 4 months.

Any advice? I am getting scared to face them because they will say I am a bad mother again for not MAKING him eat.

Default Re: Getting worried

all you can do is offer.
    One of theese days hes going to start eating!
    my last two didn't eat much before they were 1, my dd about 1 and 1/2

you could just tell the doctor he was eating solids and then they would recomend pedishure.
    and you can just keep on nursing....

This can be very stressful. Your LO can sense your anxiety about it as well, and will act accordingly.....you simply can not force them to eat. The refusal will become srtonger if food is related to unpleasant feelings.

I agree with the PP, the only thing you can do is continue to offer it. I do think though that my LO went through a stage right around 9-10 months where he seemed to get fussy with solids. I tried two approaches...one I tasted whatever I was going to give him first, said mmmmm....good....try? This worked more often that not. Then if he refused to eat, DH and I would leave something on his tray and continue to eat ourselves (we always eat meals together) He would curiously watch us eat....and without saying a word, he would begin to pick at his plate. We never scolded, begged, etc., just kept smiling, and kept on trying.

I also read a book borrowed to me by my LLL leader, entitled "My Child Won't Eat"...can not recall the author....A FABULOUS READ! I would highly recommend it.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

Thanks Ladies I may well give that book a read

My DS didn't want to eat much in the way of solids, either. Eventually, your child will get interested. Don't worry. I liked Andrea's response as far as what to do with the doctor. Just say your child is eating solids, and keep breastfeeding.