Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nitrate in homemade carrots

Default nitrate in homemade carrots

I have recently started to make my own baby food and read that you should not make homemade carrot baby food because the nitrates may be too high and dangerous (could cause anemia). I asked my dr., but she did not know. Does anyone have more information on this?
    Thanks.

Default Re: nitrate in homemade carrots

This what I know, nitrates can even be on baby food even organic bb-food (they only screen for nitrates but they can't be removed), that's why they tell you to limit the amount of food with nitrates to a few days a week. Roots vegetables and leafy one like spinach have the highest concentration on it. My advise go organic on whole some foods or at least those that are likely to have a high concentration in nitrates. About the anemia thing I really don't know I've to look into that, but I won't doubt it; with this new diet that we're carrying now, with all the processed food I HAVE SEEN a raise in cancer that is unbelievable, especially on my generation and the one before! I've friends and a little cousin with cancer and they completely change their diet. I'm not trying to scare you, just trying to make a point on how almost everything has a long term effect.

I asked my dr., but she did not know.
    Just to show, not b/c you've a degree means that you know everything! No one does!

http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds...al/nitrate.htm
    http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/nitratearticle.htm
    http://www.pcccooks.com/sc/0305/goldie.html
    heres some of what I found on line..
    It seams like most of it says as long as your baby is older its ok to eat carrots and that drinking water would be more a worry.
    uggg.

I like the link posted by reesa; It talk about nitrates and nitrites, which they sound kind of alike, I didn't know it was a difference, I though they were the same thing! Learned something new! My english is not the greatest !

I had to laugh at the line in the article about how "time-consuming" it is to make your own baby food. When I made my own carrot baby food I took a couple of bags of baby carrots, steamed them, pureed them in a food processor, and popped them into freezer trays, then popped them into freezer bags. The actual work involved took less than an hour, most of which was spent doing other things, and I had so much baby food that we didn't even use it all! I only made peas, carrots and rice cereal and by the time my son was too old for pureed stuff I still had a few servings left.

It's cheaper, taste better, and is healthier!!

It is so simple, not time consuming at all! If you don't have time to steam some veggies and puree them, you are WAY TOO BUSY.

About the carrots, I've read to be sure not to use the water from steaming to help liquify the carrots because of the nitrites. Add clean water.