Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breast preference

Default breast preference

Could there be a medical problem that makes my baby nurse for 5 secs and then cry- over and over? This happens only on my right breast. He seems to get stuffed up as he is getting more and more upset, and I get upset too! The problem side has a strong let down, lots of milk, but even when the supply has calmed down he is still twisting away and flailing around.

Default Re: breast preference

I don't have personal experience with this, but the daughter of a friend of mine would only nurse lying on her right side. They finally figured out that if they left her on her right side and just went from the cradle hold on one side to the football hold on the other she was fine and wouldn't fuss. I don't know if that helps at all, but thought I would put in my .02. Good luck!

Default Re: breast preference

What happens if you take him off as soon as you feel your letdown, let the milk spray into a cloth, then put him back on? You said he still does it after it calms down, but I'm wondering if he has a hard time getting settled back down after initially getting upset. Maybe you could short circuit the process if you could avoid the initial crying.

Like the pp mentioned, a different position might help and time will probably help, too. They tend to handle strong letdowns better as they get older.