Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: So tired....

Unhappy So tired....

hello again everyone,
    Well i just wanted to ask about my son's constant eating. i know a lot of you say that babies like to confort nurse and not actually eat. but my son is constantly looking to get fed. Example, he wakes up at 5:30 this morning, he eats till about 6:45 almost 7, round 7:10 i get up to get my daughter rdy for school, he wakes up about 7:20 and starts hollering like if he was being tortured. I quickly finish getting my daughter rdy for school and start breastfeeding him, come 8:30 he is still eating and i am still extremely tired and cranky, so i get up and come write this post. The thing is he is like this ALL day, i am a prisoner in my room, i am getting very very tired of this routine, how can he eat somuch, and i know he is always huingry cause he is always rooting/sucking fist, and just plain looking for the source of milk. I try to have my hubby hold him, you know since they can smell the milk, and nothing he starts up again. And i have not been giving him the bottle, for about a whole week now, except last night, i gave him 2 ozs of EBM. it's so much easier to give him the bottle, i am just tired, and i find myslef getting upset and cranky, don't think it's fair to my girls, they want to spend time with me too and i can't cause i have to be constantly feeding ds......

Default Re: So tired....

Hey Erika,

It's good to see your post. You have been doing an awesome job hanging in there with your little one. Two weeks now, and I'm sure it feels like forever! I can't even imagine nursing a newborn round the clock with two older children also needing my care; I have a ton of admiration for you and the many other moms who do this successfully. And I just want to point out -- you ARE doing it successfully!

Do you have any concerns about his milk intake, his diaper output, his growth? Usually the constant nursing IS normal; once in a great while it may signal that something is wrong with the feeding process. I'm not sure if you're looking for encouragement or problem-solving.

Can your husband help out more with the girls and the housework? If he, or another source of help, could free you up to just nurse and rest, for another week or two, you might find it all more bearable.

Are you able to nurse lying down? That was the big lifesaver for me, personally, although we didn't get the hang of it until DS was about 5 weeks old.

You're doing an awesome job! Let us know how things go, and come here to vent, ask for encouragment or suggestions, or whatever.

--Rebecca

I have a 6 yr old - and with a newborn - man that was rough. I was good with one child - I thought 2 would be easy - man talk about a slam between the eyes! I resented the new baby for causing havoc on the family - it was rough.

If expressing breast milk gives you sanity - then I say go for it. Your sanity and rest are part of what makes you a good mom. You aren't going to loose any award for not nursing at the breast all the time. Let dh give him a bottle - it may help establish him as a person who can calm baby - worked for us. Also, have you checked him for gas issues? I found that when dd has gas - it sometimes duplicates the feeling of hunger - but when she burps then she is fine. Maybe trying giving him Mylecon or Gripe Water for gas? When you say he is done eating at 7:00 AM and then screaming by 7:20 AM - that sounds like gas to me.

Also, have you tried a baby sling to hold him on you? I did this while getting dd#1 ready for school. Also, we had my mom and a friend (alternated) come in the morning and help get dd#1 ready for school. dh adjusted his work schedule to get dd#1 ready for school and bring her also on some days. It took a group approach to make it work.

Feel free to email me if you want to talk.

Good luck babe

Hang in there! I thought one was tough, kudos for you in handling multiple children. His constant feedinglike the pp's suggested sounds normal. DS is still very young. If you can get through a few more weeks, it will start to get much easier. Please keep in mind this is only temporary. I can't believe how fast they grow up.
    Eva
    Mom to Alyssa (11/26/05)

Congrats on your persistence!

My month old daughter does some comfort nursing too; I'm willing to let her as she still only demands to eat every 2.5-3 hours. I know she's taking something in because there are lots of diapers and she seems bigger every day.

I'm in San Antonio too.

Congratulations on the birth of your son. It's definitely a huge adjustment for everyone in the house with a new addition.

I could have written your post 3 months ago after my son was born. It is difficult to take care of older kids while BFng. Is there anyone that can help you in the mornings? I always found that mornings were the hardest part of the day. My DH would leave the house by 5:30 and help wouldn't arrive until 10 or 11 a.m. My toddler would need to be changed, cleaned up, and fed breakfast almost at the same time as my DS would want to nurse. I was constantly exhausted since I didn't pump and would get up for every night feedings. I would get super cranky and short with my DD and DH due to sleep deprivation. But all these just kinda subsided with each passing day.

If there's people offering their help with watching the kids for a short time or anything at all, feel free to take them up on it. A nap does wonders for your mood and energy.

I hope that things get better for you soon. Hang in there!

MamiKika, my DD used to cluster feed from 6pm to 12mn practically every night for her first two months. It drove me crazy, and I didn't have any other children to take care of! So I'm echoing what everyone else has said... you're doing a great job!

When there was simply no milk left DD would start crying, and usually I'd cry along with her <LOL> One thing that helped was DH giving her a warm bath. She LOVES the water and she loves her Daddy, so she would calm down and relax for about half an hour before wanting to nurse again, giving me time to take a shower and relax myself! Is there anybody who can give her a quick bath, with your two daughters assisting by bringing towels and playing with the baby (so that they can have fun with the baby and feel helpful) so you can take a break?

hey everyone, ty for all the kind words and advice, I feel silly that i was in such a bad mood when i wrote the post, i read some other ppl's stories and the "so i fed him every 45 mins" story and i felt like a bigger baby then my son

I am still tired and unfortunately i really don't have much help around here, My mother works, my mother-in-law is practically raising my sister-in-laws 2 kids, and my dh is kinda umm clueless? is the word, i dunno, but i am pretty much solo here. i felt better after i read other ppls tales, felt less lonely. I changed my routine a bit with my ds, i let him eat from one breast only when he wants to nurse, i see the diffrence a bit, he seems much more content, and Yes he does have gas issues, he passes gas A LOT and i don't mean burping lol, about the side lying, i tried it but he seems to prefer the cradle hold, less fidgety. So no luck there, maybe he will like it better later...i hope hehe . And i am in the process of getting a sling, i think that will help me alot, since he likes to be held, i try to hand him to my dh but he cries until i get him again, so hopefully i will get the sling soon. Thanx again ladies, much appreciated.

Oh, hon -- you are NOT a big baby, and you shouldn't feel silly. This is a really hard time! I'm just glad to hear that you are feeling a little more optimistic and encouraged. Let us know how things go with the sling ... and if you ask me, the clueless DH needs a kick in the pants! Or maybe a written list of things he needs to do to help. Either way, he needs a clue!! Hang in there.

--Rebecca

I here ya on the clueless husband. He acts like it would kill him to change a poopy diaper so the poor baby sits in poopy until i'm able to change it