Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF longer than 1 year

Default BF longer than 1 year

I am planning on continuing to breastfeed past the 1 year mark, but am curious about a few things. When the ped suggests starting cows milk at a year, is that only for babies that no longer get breastmilk? Wouldn't the baby be getting the calcium/vitamins it needs from your breastmilk, or is there some other reason cows milk is suggested?

My DD is 7 months so I have a while to figure all this out.

Thanks, Divo

Default Re: BF longer than 1 year

kelly moms has some great info about cows milk.
    As long as toddler is nursing 3-4 times in 24 hours they don't need cows milk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...s.html#cowmilk

Cow's milk is made for baby cows... with that said, I will give it to my son someday (he's 10 mo now) and I personally love it. My point is that it's not necessary, especially if you are still breastfeeding. Even if you aren't bfing, there are also ways to get calcium in your baby's diet if your chose to go that route. Usually people stop formula at one year and switch to cow's milk (though the formula companies are trying to fight that with their toddlers formulas, etc.) but it's not necessary for bfing moms!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I like refering to it as human milk - really confuses the nurses, but makes my point. (Usually the nurses ask all the detailed questions before the doc comes in. At 12 months they want to know if the child is drinking formula or cow's milk and at subsequent visits they want to know if the child is drinking whole milk or low fat.) If a doctor persisted with pushing cow's milk even though they knew I was breastfeeding I would disregard their opinion as ill informed and leave it in the office.
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

The best thing about continuing to BF after 1 year is not only you don't need to give your LO cow's milk, you can also feel comfortable even if s/he is a picky eater because BM has all other vitamins and minerals that cow's or other milks don't. My 13.5 month-old hates most solids but as long as he BFs I am happy. If he was drinking cow's milk he would have to eat all kinds of solids to get the necessary nutrition.

This thread just reminded me of why I love my pedi. We had our 12 month appointment a few weeks back, and I really expected her to at least say it's okay for him to have cow's milk now, but she didn't. She asked me if I had any nutritional questions and I said nope, and that was it.

You don't have to give cow's milk at 1 year, many moms nurse to that point then stop as they can switch to cow's milk and avoid formula. You don't have to though. Read the kellymom link the pp post provided, if your lo is still nursing 3-4 times a day then no supplemental milk is needed at all.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

I'm pretty sure the nurses at the doctors office think I'm weird, but that's okay. At nine months they asked about baby food and seemed a bit shocked that he was just on table food. They even asked a second time if he ate any baby food at all. And, they keep asking if he is on whole milk. The one time I said no, he's on momma's milk and they had to clarify, so he's breastfeeding? Thankfully, though, they eventually just record the information and the dr doesn't say anything about it.

FWIW, since both my sons are allergic to cows milk, they've had no milk other than mine for 4 and 2 years respectively and they seem to thrive on it! I have tried soya milk and rice occasionally, just because it would be convenient to be able to offer another milk on occasion, but neither of them will drink it. (They both like soya yoghurts though.)
    I don't think there's anything wrong with cows milk in the diet, provided there are no allergy issues, but it's certainly not essential. And no way is it "better" for human children than human milk!
    I'd suggest that you introduce cows milk after a year, if you want to, and your child likes it. But don't feel that you must do so, or that you have to cut down on breastmilk. There are certainly worse things that you could give a toddler to drink than cows milk, but imo, there is nothing better than breastmilk.

My ped, knowing that I was still nursing when my son turned a year, suggested I introduce the cows milk, but still nurse when we want. Well he didn't really like the taste or consistency of the cows milk at first. Now he is 21mths and still nursing frequently, but he will also have cow's milk from time to time ( he only will drink a little bit though).. sometimes i will give it to him w/ the rest of us at dinner time.

Human Milk....LOL that is hysterical! I will be telling the nurse that at the next ped visit!