Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Sudden drop in supply - 9 mos old!!!!

Unhappy HELP! Sudden drop in supply - 9 mos old!!!!

I am so worried!!! All of a sudden around 3-4 days ago I started noticing that my breasts were feeling very empty, flabby by early afternoon. NOW the last 2 days they are empty all day. I used to wake up in the morning with super engorged breasts but now they are just full but still soft. I used to pump a few oz both sides in the morning before a feeding so he doens't get all foremilk but now I don't have to. After his 1st morning feeding around 6am, my breasts are now flat and empty feeling. He eats every 3-4 hours; diapers are wet but not as wet as they used to be. Eats solids 3 times a day, average amounts, not a big eater. I should also say that a few days ago I found out that we are moving out of state so maybe it is my stress that is causing this?? BUt how do I stop it? I didn't feel stressed yesterday but yet my milk is still low.
    i work today and usually go nurse him around lunch time. I am worried about pumping at mid-morning and taking away all the milk that is left. But I know that if i want to increase supply i should pump right??? I have been eating oatmeal every day for about 5 months now and I drink mother's millk tea at least 1-2 times a day. No difference. Please help me!!! Is it normal to experience a drop around this time or is it my stresses? Can i still increase it? DS does not take a bottle and is not good with sippy so I MUST MUST continue to BFeed!! Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Help! Sudden drop in supply with 9 mo old!

OK, don't panic! You've had breastfeeding well-established for a long time already; as long as you continue to remove milk from your breasts, you will continue to lactate.

A drop in supply could by caused by lots of different things -- the return of fertility, perhaps (any chance you could be pregnant?) -- the stress that you mentioned -- the introduction or increase of solids -- perhaps baby has been extra distractible or something and not nursing as much? I wouldn't worry so much about WHY this is happening. Instead just focus on increasing the nursing and/or pumping a bit, and give it a few days.

You don't necessarily WANT to be waking up engorged all through the course of your breastfeeding career, so don't worry if that stops happening. I would say go ahead and pump mid-morning and nurse as usual at lunch. If baby doesn't get all the milk he wants right away at that time, then let him spend a little extra time nursing, and maybe add an extra nursing session this evening or in the night. You'll get back up to normal. And really, the only reliable indicator of milk supply is his diapers, so don't worry if your breasts continue to feel softer etc. Just watch his urine output, and you'll know how things are going.

--Rebecca

Default Re: HELP! Sudden drop in supply - 9 mos old!!!!

You sound worried. ((((hugs)))

I'm a little confused by your post. You mention you had an oversupply. Now, you're concerned that your milk production is decreasing?

Note that your breasts are never truly empty, and they do not need time to "refill". If you pump at work, you will have milk for your baby at lunch.

Moving this to infants for more replies...

Default Re: HELP! Sudden drop in supply - 9 mos old!!!!

I, too, am having the same problem However, I am not sure if it is a drop of supply I am experiencing. I have started DS on solids and he is 6 months old. His sessions of eating are MUCH shorter now and I fear that he isnt eating enough to keep my supply. I don't think i would classify this is a low supply due to what I am doing, but that he isn't eating as well. It is so frustrating. I just have to remember that my body and his body are in tune with each other and everything will be ok. Try getting your baby up (not really WAKING him up) in the middle of the night for a nursing session. The baby wont remember it but you will get peace of mind knowing he is getting a great feeding (most babies eat more while sleeping...boggles my mind) and it will help to increase your supply due to the whole supply/demand concept.

Keep your head up!