Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much to give a 10 week old?

Default How much to give a 10 week old?

Hi everybody,
    My LO is going to be 10 weeks old this week. She breastfeeds most of the time, but I am pumping so that my husband can bottle feed her once or twice a day.
    How much does/did your LO's eat at about 10 weeks old?
    Our pediatrician said she should be eating about 4-6 ounces per feeding, but she usually only goes for 3 ounces.
    Her weight was fine at her check up today (11 lbs. 7oz) but I just wanted to check in.
    Thanks!
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Default Re: How much to give a 10 week old?

Kellymom: How much expressed milk will my baby need?

The research tells us that exclusively breastfed babies take in an average of 25 oz (750 mL) per day between the ages of 1 month and 6 months. Different babies take in different amounts of milk; a typical range of milk intakes is 19-30 oz per day (570-900 mL per day).

We can use this information to estimate the average amount of milk baby will need at a feeding:

* Estimate the number of times that baby nurses per day (24 hours).
    * Then divide 25 oz by the number of nursings.
    * This gives you a "ballpark" figure for the amount of expressed milk your exclusively breastfed baby will need at one feeding.

Example: If baby usually nurses around 8 times per day, you can guess that baby might need around 3 ounces per feeding when mom is away. (25/8=3.1).
    I'd say if her weight gain is good that is a grat sign! If I remember correctly (and 10 weeks old was a LONG time ago for me ), 3 ounces of ebm at a feeding was about right for my DD. Also, since your LO is getting most of her bm from the tap, I wouldn't worry much about counting ounces from her infrequent bottles of ebm.
    You are doing great, mama!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Default Re: How much to give a 10 week old?

My LO took 5 oz at 10 weeks. But she was also 16 pounds at 10 weeks, so maybe that is why.