Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: possible to overfeed?

Default Re: possible to overfeed?

If you're only feeding him off of one side than I really don't think you have to worry about him over feeding. If he's emptied the breast and content to suck on an empty one he's satisfying some of his need to suck and be close to you. If he's irritated by that lack of milk when he's finished one side than you'll know to offer him the other side.

As a side note, my first son weighed 5 lbs 13 oz at birth, by 6 months he weighed 20 lbs. He continued to be around (or above) the 90 percentile for weight (and 50th for height) for years. But somewhere between 3 and 4 he leveled off and lost his tank build. My other son who I nursed in a similar manner weighed 7 lbs 10 oz at birth and didn't weigh 20 lbs till at least 9 months of age and has never been over the 50 percentile for weight. And all of my kids have spit up a ton, not sure why. But it definately makes solids interesting
    Laura, proud vbacing, ecological breastfeeding mommy to four ages 8, 6, 5, and 2. That's Kate nursing her doll, Adam.

The Seven Standards of ecological breastfeeding: (1) exclusive breasfeeding for the first 6 months (2) pacify baby at your breast (3) don't use bottles and pacifiers (4) co-sleep for night feedings (5) take a nursing nap (6) nurse frequently day and night; avoiding schedules (7) avoid practices that restrict nursing or separates you from your baby. The average return of menstruation for ecological breastfeeding mothers is between 14 and 15 months.

Default Re: possible to overfeed?

my ped recommended the "every 3 hours" thing too, but after 1 day of trying that and doing some reading on the net, I decided to forego her advice and let my baby take the lead. If I did the every 3 hours thing, i'd have one miserable baby on my hands!

J