Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: can you BF too often?

Default can you BF too often?

Hi!

Is there ever too much Bf'ing? When my son cries I take the the 1st option of trying to BF him. Sometimes it is only 1 hr since he last fed. I have determined from info on this site & advice from here that I have OALD. My husband thinks that I shouldn't feed him as much as I am, out of worry that feeding so often will make him have a tummy ache. I'm pretty sure that everything I've read on here says to let the baby decide & feed as often as he wants. Zachery is 3 weeks old.

Thanks
    Dawn

Default Re: can you BF too often?

I don't think you can breastfeed too much, but try to get tuned in with your baby so you learn his cues. Then you can tell better whether he cries from hunger or for some other reason (tiredness, boredom, being uncomfortable). Rooting, i.e. moving his head from side to side with his mouth open, is a sure sign that he is hungry. Rubbing his eyes on the other hand indicates tiredness. But then, the best way to get him to sleep might be to breastfeed him! However, if it is a stinky nappy he objects to, then feeding won't help of course.

My health visitor says you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. They know when they've had enough. So just go with the flow and enjoy your baby!

Like the PP said, you can't overfeed a BF babies; when it comes too eat they're in control!

No, you can not overfeed your baby. Your baby is very, very smart and knows how to regulate what he is taking at each feed. Trust your baby and your mommy instincts. Put him to your breast every time he indicates an interest. Feed him before he cries since crying is a late hunger cue. If he is waking up and wiggling about, change him and put him to your breast before he cries. That way all his energy goes into nursing and is not wasted with being upset.
    Last edited by momuvseven; May 17th, 2006 at 06:57 PM.

I agree with the previous posters -- never hesitate to nurse if you think this is what your baby wants. He won't get overfed or get a tummy ache from frequent nursing. Our species probably evolved with nursing babies several times every HOUR, in fact.

If you are coping with overactive letdown, try nursing in positions that put the baby's head and throat above the level of your breast. Lying back in a recliner, or propped on pillows, with the baby on top of you, is one example. Or, if the baby comes off the breast choking or coughing b/c the milk flow is too fast, just catch the milk in a burp rag until the flow slows down, then put him back to breast. As he gets older, he'll be able to keep up better.

If you think your OALD is linked to an oversupply problem -- you are producing too much milk, typically showing itself as a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance causing green stools and digestive problems -- then try block feeding. You go ahead and nurse whenever baby cues to nurse, but for a period of, say, three hours, you nurse from the same breast every feeding. Then the next three hours, all feedings happen on the other breast. This will help your supply "downregulate" to be more in sync with his demand.

--Rebecca

rebecca---can i give you a hug thru email? you are so supportive & your advice is right on, thanks so much! any adivce on a good sling so i can carry my precious zach around while getting some much needed housework done? i'm also going to post that question in another thread.
    thanks dawn

momuvseven---i'm showing your post to my husband. thanks for the advice & support Dawn