Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Little gems of weaning wisdom...or not.

Default Little gems of weaning wisdom...or not.

Just had to share this with you ladies:

We had our 12 mth check up today and I asked how much breastmilk (or substitute) my one-year-old now needs. Our friendly neighborhood pediatrician 'helpfully' pointed out the following:

1. There is no evidence that there is any benefit to breastfeeding beyond 8-10 months.
    2. Now's a good time to wean.
    3. This can be achieved by going away somewhere for a couple of days leaving baby with relatives because, believe it or not, children can get pretty upset when mommy's around and refusing to nurse.
    4. My baby has a strong personality and is unlikely to self-wean so I'll have to take the lead. This last gem just in case I am disobedient about following his advice on weaning?

Well, gee, what would we do without our trusty medical advisors?

I'm still shaking my head in wonder.

Default Re: Little gems of weaning wisdom...or not.

Well, at least you seem amused by it rather than angry. It is frustrating though that one of the people who is supposed to have your child's best health interest in mind is sitting there telling you to force your child to wean! I'd be mad I think! LOL
    I had a situation just the other day. My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I were visiting his relatives and our daughter wanted to nurse and I asked his Grandma if she could help me find a quiet place and she asked me in quite the tone, "You're STILL nursing her?!"
    I should have said, "yes, she's 2 and likes to nurse, but aren't you a little old to be so rude?" lol.... But instead I said, "yes. we are, and in fact her doctor's thrilled!"
    sorry about this response.... I've had a long, kind of rough day so I'm not as nice as I usually am. Blame it on Mommy brain.

Quote Originally Posted by AutumnsMommy View Post
    Well, at least you seem amused by it rather than angry. It is frustrating though that one of the people who is supposed to have your child's best health interest in mind is sitting there telling you to force your child to wean! I'd be mad I think! LOL
    I had a situation just the other day. My husband, 2 yr old daughter and I were visiting his relatives and our daughter wanted to nurse and I asked his Grandma if she could help me find a quiet place and she asked me in quite the tone, "You're STILL nursing her?!"
    I should have said, "yes, she's 2 and likes to nurse, but aren't you a little old to be so rude?" lol.... But instead I said, "yes. we are, and in fact her doctor's thrilled!"
    sorry about this response.... I've had a long, kind of rough day so I'm not as nice as I usually am. Blame it on Mommy brain.
    I have been through frustration, confusion, desperation, annoyance, anger.... Like any mother today, I get more advice than you can shake a very big stick at...and I've always been really sensitive to criticism. I think I've just flipped over the edge and started to laugh at it. Probably better for my health in the long run. My husband got a funny book from the library (we have a baby, we don't BUY books anymore) called The Complete Guide to Uninvited Advice on Raising Children by Alice Beaven. It has a piece of typical advice on each page with a funny cartoon underneath and we laughed until we cried and since then I've been able to laugh off a lot more of the truly ridiculous advice that floats my way. I'm hoping to let it all float on past without causing a stomach ulcer.

Anyway, I'm still too bemused and flabbergasted to be angry. I thought I'd let the lovely Leche League ladies get out their venom pens and attack the doc's madvice. Then I can sit back and enjoy their comments and probably learn something useful in the process.

only thing I want to add it is your baby and not the doctors.

WOW!! Speechless!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

Maybe your doc was absent the day the covered common sense in med school?

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

Thanks for posting that! I go to my sons 1 year check up Wednesday and I am anticipating the same kind of response. This is the same ped. that told me to start solids at 4 months and on top of that my DS was a 32 week preemie. I can't wait to hear what he's going to say about my plan to let DS self wean when HE'S ready. We'll see!!

Sorry mamas!
    Fortunately our ped is pretty pro-breastfeeding, even past 1. He did ask when we would wean, but it seemed like he was asking more out of curiousity than "suggesting" we should wean, kwim? I just replied when it's not working out for either ds or me anymore.

I was hoping he'd be a little more OK with our decision to delay some vaxes - he kinda just said we can do whatever we want to do, but that's not what he recommends.

At least he was very pro-keeping-our-son-rear-facing in his car seat as long as possible (said it did it with his son, too.) I hope he encourages other families to do the same!

He also cloth-diapered his son for a while (but gave up when diaper service closed) - but he thought it was cool that we cd our ds.

Oh well, I guess 3 out of 4 isn't bad! You can't have everything!
    Hi! I'm Ann, Mama to my "big baby buffalo" , DS#1, who breastfed from August '06 to January '08
    and DS#2, my"little baby buffalo" born in May '08 and exclusively breastfeeding