Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: need to fast for glucose bloodtest....

Question need to fast for glucose bloodtest....

I had gestational diabetes and my OB wants to re-check my blood sugar tomorrow. This means I will have to fast -- no food or water -- from midnight until my appt at 9am, then I drink the yucky glucola and have 5 blood draws over two hours

My question is whether this is going to screw up my bm and bfing of my 8 week old tomorrow morning? I will take DD with me to the appointment and she usually nurses at about 6 am, 8 am and 10 am, so she will most likely eat while I am there. Should I try to pump tonight to bring some ebm with me in case she doesn't like me in my dehydrated and over-sugared state?

Did anyone else to go through this?
    Thanks!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Default Re: need to fast for glucose bloodtest....

I think you can have water with that test, that wouldn't affect blood sugar....
    everything I read on line says you can have water...

I remember this test clearly because I get quite shaky and ill when my belly is empty. They told me that I could have all the water I could drink. I was floating by the time I got to the hospital that day, but it got me through until I could eat something.
    Leslie- Momma to Aiden 02/28/06 AND Owen 2/28/08...What timing

Older and wiser voices can always help you find the right path, if you are only willing to listen.--Jimmy Buffet

i had that test at 4 months pp and was allowed water...i would call your dr just to double check. being dehydrated is never good (breast feeding or not!)and it doesn't affect blood sugar.

Check on the water...I go to high risk OBs, and they Do Not want you to drink water. Because of that....I get to wait to be retested until Anderson weans! I hate that test (had to do 3 x this PG, and was only diagnosed 2 weeks before delivery. My OB did say that the BM taste should be "okay"...much like if you drank a few pops/sodas (depending on which part of the country you're from). Now, I can go when he's 6 months, she just felt like I could wait so that I wouldn't mess up supply in the early days. Maybe it's b/c all my fasting #'s were okay (and a couple docs said I wasn't truly diabetic, just intolerant).

Good luck.

oh, just noticed test was today. how was it?

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

Thanks for all your posts! The test was ok -- yucky glucola aside . I did drink some water this morning (whether I was really supposed to or not...).

DD seems to be ok with bf afterwards, but was a little fussy in the first feeding when we got home -- probably more due to the fact that the nurses in the office kept passing her around than anything.

Now I am drinking water like a camel with DD sleeping peacefully on my lap
    Hopefully, I will not have gestational diabetes next time....I didn't mind the diet because I knew how important it was for my LO to be healthy, but all the extra appointments were a real pain!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09