Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling light headed after pumping

Default Feeling light headed after pumping

I have been back at work for three weeks now. I have been pumping twice everyday. I have a bottle of water with me so I can drink while I am pumping and I drink throughout the day.

There are times when I finish pumping and I feel light headed and a little naseaus. Is this normal? Am I not eating enough or drinking enough water? Sometimes I try to squeeze up to the very last drop of milk to accumulate more, could this be causing it?

Default Re: Feeling light headed after pumping

Ive never pumped before but I do know that when I nurse I get realy sleepy.
    ITs just all the hormones.
    are you realy relaxed at work?

Yes I am relaxed, I close the door to my office and I have my pumping equipment set up with a bottle of water. Everyone knows not to disturb me when the door is closed.

When I breastfeed my baby I don't feel that way that's what concerns me. I don't like feeling like that especially when I have to get back to work after 20-30 minutes of pumping.

maybe one of the pumping moms will have something to add...
    hope you can figure it out soon!
    does it happen each time? or only part of the time.
    are you eating right?

There are a few mothers who feel light-headed or nauseous when pumping (or nursing, or both). No one has pinpointed a complete reason for it yet, but we think it has something to do with a hormone spike associated with letdown. Here's some related info for you: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nausea-bf.html
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

It happens almost everytime, sometimes not as bad. I try to eat a snack right after to make it go away but I think I am going to eat it first from now on.
    Last edited by D&J'S MOM; May 19th, 2006 at 12:27 PM.

Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. I thought maybe something was wrong with me. I am going to follow the tips and hope that it gets better so I can work without any problems.

let us know if you find something that works for you so we can tell other moms that have this problem
    thanks!

This happens to me a lot. I try to get more hydrated when it happens, but that doesn't always help. At least you know you're not alone, though...

Ok I tried eating more in the morning, which I really wasnt before. And eating a healthy snack before I start pumping and it has helped. There are times in the evening when I pump again that I do get a headache though.