Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: going back to work

Default going back to work

HiHi

I will be returning to work in 2 wks. My baby is now 4 wks old. I will start pumping next week (waiting on the pump to ship). How much milk should I give to the baby sitter? What if I don't have enough backup for her? Should I send her formula too? Is it better to mix it with breast milk or just formula only and use that for back up?

I just start using the manual pump and maybe get an oz from it. Will there be a difference in the electric pump and manual?

Default Re: going back to work

Hi there,

Congratulations on your baby. Here is a link that may help in estimating how much milk to leave:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Are you getting an ounce when you pump after you feed your little one? If so, I would not be concerned. You will get more when you pump for a missed feeding.

You also asked about different types of pumps. If you are going to be working full time, a double pump will help maintain your supply as well as save time. The Medela Pump in Style and Ameda Purely Yours are good pumps.

Right now, you only need to "bank" enough milk for your first day back. Then on your first day you can pump the milk for the next day, and so on. A good time to try to pump may be after the first nursing session in the morning.

Default Re: going back to work

Hi, I'm moving this to the "Working and Breastfeeding" board

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!