Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: he pulls away!

Default he pulls away!

My 4 week old son has been having issues latching and staying on. He has almost got down the latching, but still goes off and on. The MAJOR problem being that he tries to go off with my nipple still in his mouth, pulling it away and causing me GREAT pain. I don't want to push his head into my chest...any suggestions or reasons why he's doing this????

Default Re: he pulls away!

You could try keeping your finger 'at the ready' to pop the suction when your lo starts to pull away.

Is it at the end when he pulls off- like is he done eating when he does it, I mean? My lo did that in the beginning. Actually she did it until she got teeth at which point it started really hurting and I had to make her stop. I think she was doing it to clamp down on the nipple to 'shut off' the flow.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My 4 week lo does that too. I find either she: has to burp, is overtired and not really hungry, or is frustrated that theres no milk. If you take her off your breast and check, you might find there is no milk at that minute. Switching breasts works for me.

I dont push her to the breast figuring something is wrong, i just have to figure out what. Usually I stop bfing for a little while, take a break at that point. Good luck

He appears to do it for a variety of reasons, being finished, or being frustrated....or who knows why else. And it always seems to catch me off guard. And it also seems that when he is nearing the end of a feeding, he pulls away slowly, making the latch painful. PLEASE tell me this gets better with time?!?!?!

it does get beter but maybe tweaking how you holding baby will help.
    lots of infants still like to be heald firmly at that age.
    Any shifting, or if they startle and feel like they are gonig to fall they pull off.