Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help Please(OMG The Pain)

Unhappy Help Please(OMG The Pain)

Hi all I have been breastfeeding since Tuesday August 14th..I have been pumping and bottle feeding since I have been having problems getting her to latch on since I have been home..Yesterday it started..The shooting pains are alwful..I cant even put my arm down..It hurts to even squeeze the nipple..to pump it all hurts..I have tried warm towels I have tried a hot shower and nothing will go away..This is the first time I have breastfed or pumped with any of my babies..What could it be? I just want the pain to go away.Iam to the point I want to stop and let the milk dry up so I wont be in pain any more

Crystal

Default Re: Help Please(OMG The Pain)

could be plugged duct.
    do you have a fever.
    heres a good page with more info
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

hope you are fealing beter!

Does it hurt when your lo nurses? Try letting her nurse on that side instead of pumping- if it's a plugged duct that might help. Also alternating warm and cool compresses- that worked for me when I had one- just keep doing it. Or try a warm shower.

I'm so sorry it's hurting . It will get better, keep at it!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Do you have a fever? I ended up with Mastitis and it was horrible. If you do have this, you'll want to call your doctor. They can prescribe and antibiotic for you.

Other than that, have your baby try to nurse from that one side- often. Keep using the warm compresses and, I think, massaging the spot where it hurts might loosen anything up. If it's a clogged duct, try the same as mentioned above, but you don't need an Rx for it. Don't give up. It will get better .

Hope you feel better soon!

Talking Re: Help Please(OMG The Pain) Thank You All

Thanks to all that has helped me with this Breastfeeding thing..I tell you I never knew it was so hard..Yesterday I started hurting so bad I couldnt even work with Lily on latching on..I would cry it hurt so bad..Woke up this morning and couldnt even out my left arm down..Shooting pains were alwful and couldnt get anything out when I pumped..Called my LC from the hospital..Said it was a clogged milk duct..It hurt so bad..After we went to get Madison I came home and did what the LC said..Before I pumped I out a hot wash cloth on my left breast..then while I was pumping she told me to massage it where the lump was..OMG it feels so much better..The shooting pains are gone..I have to do the same thing every 3 hours or she said it could turn in to Mastitis and she didnt want that to happen..Said as soon as I feel better and it goes away then to make a appt.to go up there to work on latching again.But for now to use a bottle..

Crystal,

Glad that you figured it out and are feeling better.

It's funny - many people think that because breastfeeding is natural that it is easy...I say giving birth is natural and it sure as heck isn't easy!

But breastfeeding, just like giving birth, is TOTALLY worth all the trouble. And just to let you know...it DOES get easier.

Way to go!
    Dana
    Wife to Jonathan Edward, 3/29/2002
    Mother of Alexander "Lex" Edward, 3/4/2007
    Attachment Parenting - it's not what you do, it's why you do it.
    Breastfeeding
    Co-Sleeping
    Wearing Lex as often as possible
    Daytime cloth diaperer, nighttime sposie user