Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Advice on feeding problems due to Reflux in 11-week old

Default Advice on feeding problems due to Reflux in 11-week old

I posted this on another forum as well, then realized it might actually be better suited to this one...

Over the past couple of days, my son has started to exhibit what I believe are symptoms of reflux. These include excessive burping (loud, adult-sounding burps even a couple of hours after eating), gassiness, crying in pain, hiccups, and, what is most worrisome to me, difficulty breastfeeding. He will start to feed and then pull away and look at me, sometimes whining or crying, sometimes not, and though he opens his mouth and tries to feed more, he will pull away again. It just took me an hour to give him what did not feel like a completely adequate feeding, where normally it takes less than half that time. I am going back to work next week and my nanny tried to give him a bottle of pumped milk the other day - he first made really loud gulping noises and then started to cry, and wouldn't eat more than a couple of ounces (he's taken a bottle successfully in the past). I am freaking out, especially because I'm not going to be home starting next week. I took him to the doctor, and his advice was to try giving him Maalox 4x a day.

Just wondering if any of you have ever dealt with these problems, and if you have any advice to make both breast and bottle-feeding easier. Particularly, advice on positions, types of bottles/nipples to use, how to measure out one ml of Maalox in the medicine dropper when the liquid is so thick I can barely get an accurate amount into the dropper much less get it all out, etc.

I'm feeling really upset, as this is a kid who has typically been a very happy, easygoing baby, and I hate to see him having these problems. I'm also worried that his weight gain has slowed substantially, and though the doctor says it is "adequate", I want it to be better than that. He weighs 14 lbs, 13 oz, and gained only 11 oz between his two month appointment and yesterday (two weeks later).

As an FYI, I've been using Avent bottles and nipples but just read some info about BPA that has made me decide to switch, but I'm not sure what to switch to.

If anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Sarah

Default Re: Advice on feeding problems due to Reflux in 11-week old

I dont think my lo has reflux but she does exhibit a lot of the same tendencies that yours does.

She is a huge burper and has lots of gas. She gulps when she eats, gets the hiccups a lot and I can hear her tummy rumble when I am feeding her.

I use the Mylicon gas drops from time to time..especially at night to help her sleep.

I feed her as upright as I can and burp her very frequently when she is eating...Like every five minutes.

I use the dr. browns bottles and she does very well with these...very little air sucking..much better than the avent bottles I tried at first.

Hope that helps. I have heard that antacids prescriptions work well with little ones too. Ask your dr. about your options.

Keep taking her back to the doctor until you get something that works. My LO is 13 weeks and on rinitidine and domperidone and we've seen a avst improvement. Good luck x

Hi. My daughter went through this but I did not give her the percribed rx (zantac) from the Dr. I just figured she is a baby, and most babies do have feeding issues until they learn how to swallow,eat, and breath at the same time.

She had all of the symptoms you are describing. Things got better much, much better around 3 months. And got totally better at 6.

I also used the Avent bottles and think they are great.

You very well may have eaten something that bothered him. I never used to believe this because my daughter was this way all the time, but once she wasn't so bad the episodes of pulling away and massive spit up were easily linked to different foods.

Good luck I hope this helped.

My little girl was also dx with reflux and she was presenting the same way...pulling away from my breast mostly but feeding with a bottle. My MD first gave her Maloox but the as she appeared to get better switched her to Zantac 2x a day. When she appeared to have reflux I would nurse her in an upright position as much as possible and burp her after 10 minutes (or more frequently) as needed while feeding. I also kept her upright after feeding for at least 10 minutes to help keep the milk down. This appeared to help. Also gripe water helps her. Good luck...it does get better as they get older.