Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BF problems, baby blues and more ....

Default BF problems, baby blues and more ....

Today I went to a salmon bake, where I saw many of my friends who also had their babies around the same time I did. It was frustrated to see their babies sleeping peacefully while mine was fussy all afternoon ( unless she was sucking on my breasts ). My baby cried and cried, even after BF, I was sooo tired and almost crying!!! then my DH said that maybe she was still hungry and not getting enough from my breast, so we prepared 1 1/2 oz of formula and gave it to her through a syringe ( so my breast would still be stimulated ), right after she was done she went to sleep! and it's been almost 2 hours since!!
    My baby is almost 1 month, it's been the most difficult month of my life! I don't know what the heck I was expecting, I guess my expectations where too high! I was shocked to have this little person depending on me 24/7
    I'm about to give up bf but it breaks my heart! I want the best for her. But it's also so frustrating not knowing if she's satisfied or not, it's the second time that I think she's full but she's not.
    I also think I still have the baby blues, life doesn't seem as it should be with a baby, don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY LITTLE NAIMA, but sometimes I just don't know what to do!!!
    I just need some encouragement!!!

Default Re: BF problems, baby blues and more ....

Being a new mom can be so overwhelming! I would guess that moms who ff also find it to be overwhelming (and they have to deal with a baby who gets sick more, has more digestive issues, etc). Hang in there with the bfing and we'll see if we can help you with that. If she's almost a month, she might be experiencing a growth spurt. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html She might have been extra fussy yesterday if she was over stimulated, then that might have made her have a harder time calming down to go to sleep. Is she gaining weight okay? If so, that along with her diapers is the best way to figure out if she's getting enough. Babies are just fussy sometimes. One great thing to keep in mind is "this too shall pass". Babies don't stay at one age and stage long, so if you just hang in there, it will get better (or at least different.) Here's some info on that. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussybaby.html and http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

If you have a LLL group in your area, that's a great place to meet other mom's who have experienced (and persevered) through what you are experiencing right now.

You mentioned baby blues...getting sleep is really important to combat this. If you aren't already, napping with your baby for at least one nap during the day can help. If this continues to be a concern, talk to your dr. I found the transition to motherhood to be very challenging, but it gradually got better. I hadn't really thought past the eating and sleeping part of newborn behavior (which doesn't last long at all).

Hang in there!

Default Re: BF problems, baby blues and more ....

What great advice you got above!!

The only thing I wanted to add was this link -------> Is baby getting enough.
    And this one ---> getting enough 'chart'.

Oh and another thing - she may have been so worked up from crying and fussing thats why she slept a bit longer than "usual" ...

I second searching for LLL in your area and getting as much rest as humanly possible (still taking those vitamins? THey're a great bonus even after delivering ).
    Last edited by Number3; August 23rd, 2007 at 09:58 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.