Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby refusing EBM

Default baby refusing EBM

I am a teacher and after a long summer, school's back in. I spent the entire summer enjoying all my time with my little princess and breastfed on demand. She has always refused bottles from me and my husband. She would take bottles while at Grandma's house, as long as I wasn't around. But now that I am back at work, my 12-month-old is refusing EBM. She will eat plenty of solids and drink some juice and water to hold her over. Then she will spend most of the evening and night nursing. I keep hoping that she will give in and drink more EBM. So my mom continues offering her the EBM. Should I worry? Any ideas?

Default Re: baby refusing EBM

Have you tried the EBM? Some mom's have excess lipase that makes their milk taste bad if it is not fresh. (you have to scald the milk to diable the protein from spoiling the milk.)

Is she getting the EBM in a bottle? Maybe a sippy cup would be better? I know it doesn't help you sleep but maybe she needs the extra contact with you to feel secure because she misses you all day long! She still needs her mama!

Hope school goes well for you. I got back to the classroom in October.

sometimes at that age they just get picky and there isn't much you can do about it.
    could you sneak it in somehow?
    Mommy milk shake?
    IS it still in a bottle?
    some kids like a bottle if you have switched to a cup or vice versa...
    sorry that was a repeat.....

My son never took a bottle and although he drinks other things from a sippy cup he refuses EBM. I have always fed him the EBM mixed with cereal with a spoon. Yesterday I tried the cereal (pretty thin) with an open cup and he drank it. He still wouldn't take it from a sippy but open cup was fine. I tried EBM mixed with banana puree and avocado puree but he doesn't enjoy sweet things much especially if they come from a cup. Tomorrow I will mix it with his yogurt drink and see what he does with that (I mix yogurt and meshed avocado with some water and he likes that drink a lot so we'll see what he does when I use EBM instead of water.)

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    Have you tried the EBM? Some mom's have excess lipase that makes their milk taste bad if it is not fresh. (you have to scald the milk to diable the protein from spoiling the milk.)

Is she getting the EBM in a bottle? Maybe a sippy cup would be better? I know it doesn't help you sleep but maybe she needs the extra contact with you to feel secure because she misses you all day long! She still needs her mama!

Hope school goes well for you. I got back to the classroom in October.
    I've tried all kinds of different cups but she still refuses the EBM. She will drink juice and water from her sippy cups, but no EBM.
    I don't think I have a problem with the protein spoiling my milk, because she always drank EBM before I was off for the summer. So I think she is just being picky and holding out until I go pick her up. And she may just be missing me and want that extra contact you mentioned. I know I'm missing her soooo much.

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio View Post
    sometimes at that age they just get picky and there isn't much you can do about it.
    could you sneak it in somehow?
    Mommy milk shake?
    IS it still in a bottle?
    some kids like a bottle if you have switched to a cup or vice versa...
    sorry that was a repeat.....
    I guess I'm just going to have to get creative and start mixing in her milk with other stuff. How do you make a mommy milk shake? Do you just add fruits with EBM and blend in a blender?
    What else can you mix EBM with?