Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I want to give my 3 year old breastmilk...

Question I want to give my 3 year old breastmilk...

Hi, This is my first post here
    So I breastfed my oldest daughter for a year and a half but then stopped. It was everyones pressure of thinking she was to old to breastfeed. I was pretty young then so I listened. I really wish that I would have breastfed her longer. I now have a new baby and want to give my older daughter some of the expressed milk because I really don't want her to end up with allergies or anything. I have been giving her about 3 oz. a day in a sippy cup but I am wondering how much breast milk I should giver her in order for her to get the positive stuff from my breastmilk. People say that I should feel good about myself that I breastfed her that long, but I don't - I feel terrible This has been weighing on me since I weaned her and year and a half ago. I just feel so bad that I didn't giver her the best that I could have. Now I am older and I am definitly not going to let anyone influence my decision or try to get me to stop breastfeeding my youngest daughter. Well, any advice would be great! Thanks so much!

Cherub

Smile Re: I want to give my 3 year old breastmilk...

i don't know too much about this, but i just wanted to be supportive. so, hi! it's difficult to tune everyone out, especially when you're a young mom and everyone has their two cents to throw at you.
    Jean
    proud mama to ds, born 8/3/06, 11 lbs 14 oz, 24", now 35 lbs, 35", self-weaned at 20 months
    expecting baby boy #2 on 7/21/08, hoping for a VBAC

Default Re: I want to give my 3 year old breastmilk...

WOW! A year and a half is great! Your daughter is already off to a great start! As I understand it, breastmilk helps prevent food allergies because it helps the intestines remain 'sealed' long enough for little one's immune system to protect themselves. In most cases, that sealing occurs around 6 mos. So unless your first daughter was particularly allergic to a lot of things - you probably already earned her the anti-allergic benefits of nursing her for those 18 mos! Breast milk is always a nutritious drink! I think that research shows the more they get the better off they are. I do not think there is a magic number of ounces to ensure she is 'getting enough'.

You did a great job with your first daughter and you did the best you could at the time. That's what mom's do! Now that you are wiser you can BF your DD#2 until she is 20 if you want to!

How is it going I am doing the same thing now...well we just started today, my son is 3 as well.

Smile Re: I want to give my 3 year old breastmilk...

It's not going to well, my 3 year old thinks that my milk is gross :-(. She says "yuck! that's baby sisters milk!" I guess shes just used to cows milk. If I put half cows milk and half breast milk she drinks it fine though. How is your son doing with it? My Mom and sister thinks that it is gross, but my husband supports the idea so I will keep trying. I wish people would just accept the idea that breast milk is the best for children. Oh well Let me know how it is going with you.

Cherub

He asked to try it and I have no problem with it. Today he had a whole sippy cup and drank it all down. I asked him if he knew what it was and he was like milk and I said do you know what kind? He goes no I said well it is mommy's milk. He goes Oh mommy thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ProudHooahWife View Post
    He asked to try it and I have no problem with it. Today he had a whole sippy cup and drank it all down. I asked him if he knew what it was and he was like milk and I said do you know what kind? He goes no I said well it is mommy's milk. He goes Oh mommy thank you!!!

That is tooooo cute!!!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09