Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Okay...prunes vs. plums?

Default Okay...prunes vs. plums?

So, I always thought prunes were just dried out plums (like raisins are dried grapes). Anyway, today as I was browsing the baby food aisle, I noticed that there were prunes AND plums in different locations. Is there actually a difference? Have I been wrong all these years?

I'm very confused...
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: Okay...prunes vs. plums?

Nope, they're the same thing It's a marketing thing. Prunes have a low appeal factor due to them being associated with old farts who can't poop. So re-name them "dried plums" and foodies are all over them!

Same thing happened with microwaves. In the 40's they introduced them as "radiation ovens" and people were like What???!!! The 70's roll around with "microwaves" and all the rich folks had to have 'em

In the SuperBaby Food book she says that Plums and Prunes are two different fruits. Even labels will say Dried Prunes (instead of just Prunes or Dried Plums)

Okay I love wiki:

Prune
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    (Redirected from Prunes)
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This article is about the fruit. For other uses, see Prune (disambiguation).
    A prune is a dried fruit of various plum species, mostly Prunus domestica. It is wrinkly in shape, unlike its non-dried counterpart. More than 125 cultivars of plums are grown for drying. Four of the most common cultivars are French, Imperial, Italian, and Greengage. In general, prunes are freestone cultivars (the stone is easy to remove), whereas most other plums grown for fresh consumption are cling (the stone is more difficult to remove). Fresh prunes reach the market earlier than fresh plums and are usually smaller in size.

Prune juice is richer in fiber than plum juice and is often marketed as a treatment for constipation, and it helps with kidney stones. One of the largest and best-known prune producers is Sunsweet Growers, headquartered in Yuba City, CA, who control more than 2/3 of the prune market worldwide. In the United States, an effort to rebrand "prunes" as "dried plums" began in 2000, to appeal to a younger market who associated prunes with elderly people.[1] However, only some varieties of plum are usually called prunes when dried; others have usually been called "dried plums" in any case.[2]

Prunes are used in cooking both sweet and savory dishes. Stewed prunes, a compote, are a dessert. Prunes are a frequent ingredient in North African tagines. Perhaps the best-known gastronomic prunes are those of Agen (pruneaux d'Agen).

There has long been an urban myth that prune juice is an ingredient in Dr. Pepper.[3]

I never heard the Dr Pepper rumour though.

Okay and I am seriously at the effort to get young people to eat more prunes and stop associating them with elderly people.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

This is so funny, I was actually thinking about posting this question a few days ago... Weird...

So, can plums help with constipation???
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!

Plums have helped my LO w/ constipation...go easy & don't give too much - I have found that a tablespoon is just fine!

Thanks! And good morning!
    for 1-1/2 years...and still going!