Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound like thrush??

Red face Does this sound like thrush??

My daughter is 4 weeks old and my nipples are healed, no visible cracks or bleeding but they are burning, literally almost like they are on FIRE!! It is awful. The burning sensation feels like it is in my muscle too, like behind the breast. I nursed my first daughter until she was 2 and I had mastitis twice early on and it doesn't feel the same as that did. On one side it hurts so bad to nurse I can hardly stand it. I do use breast pads so my milk doesn't leak, I wonder if I have set myself up for thrush? Does thrush require medical intervention or can I treat it on my own? And btw, my daughter doesn't seem to have any spots in her mouth that is why I wonder if that is what it is....any thoughts?

Default Re: Does this sound like thrush??

Yep. That's how thrush felt for me. You can treat it with Gentian Violet, which you can buy over the counter. It's messy but does the trick. Good luck!
    http://www.bflrc.com/newman/breastfeeding/gentviol.htm

Your baby may not have visible signs - does she have a diaper rash that hasn't improved with typical diaper creams? Here's a good website on thrush/breast candida:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

I had it for over 4 months (my son is now 5.5 months old)... because you're catching it early, you should be able to beat it with Diflucan, Gentian Violet, Grapefruit Seed Extract etc. B/c I had 5 bouts of antibiotics since my son was born, all the good flora I had was killed and I had really work at controlling my yeast (I tried all of the above and finally a candida diet and herbal drops and pau d'arco tea helped). I'm now 3.5 weeks of being pain free.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions... but maybe see your doc just to confirm. Your baby and you should be treated at the same time even if she doesn't have any symptoms otherwise you'll just keep passing it back and forth like my son and I did....

Hope this helps!

Thrush never hurt me while nursing but it was painful and burning in between nursing. The PPers link is a good one. I also like Dr. Newman's yeast protocol. I also used recommendations from a natural healing book. I did the most agressive treatment I could while BFing and feel like we might be over thrush---- but don't read that last part out loud because I don't want the yeast to hear it! Feel free to PM me if you need more help!

Quote Originally Posted by Thalia View Post
    I had really work at controlling my yeast (I tried all of the above and finally a candida diet and herbal drops and pau d'arco tea helped). I'm now 3.5 weeks of being pain free.
    Thalia, the pua d' arco tea worked well for me too. I remember you asking around at the time to see if anyone else had used it. I also took clove tea. I just added 1tsp of whole cloves to my regular tea bag. It was delicious and tingly. I think the clove tea worked well also.

I experienced the same painful burning---where it burned after feedings. I would have to walk around naked because anything that touched it was so painful. My son is now 8 weeks old and they still feel like they get hot sometimes...and nursing isn't completely pain free.
    He doesn't have any signs of thrush.
    I haven't had any "tale tell" signs---aside from burning--
    what can I do to stop the burning sensation?

I am on my way to the doctor....I am curious to see what he has to say!!! I am hoping for a miracle drug that will have me pain free before I walk out the door....who am I kidding right? lol!

Quote Originally Posted by juliana99 View Post
    I experienced the same painful burning---where it burned after feedings. I would have to walk around naked because anything that touched it was so painful. My son is now 8 weeks old and they still feel like they get hot sometimes...and nursing isn't completely pain free.
    He doesn't have any signs of thrush.
    I haven't had any "tale tell" signs---aside from burning--
    what can I do to stop the burning sensation?
    If you had thrush for over a week, in my experience, the burning changes to stabbing pain deep in the breast pretty quickly. Thrush pain does also not usually coincide with nursing so that you would feel the pain in between feedings. Painful nipples are probably due to an imperfeect latch. If you want to discourage yeast you could follow the candida protocol. You can also rinse your nipples with vinegar after feedings. Keeping your shirt off is great yeast prevention too! Here is some sore nipple (not thrush) info.