Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies and Solid Foods

Default Allergies and Solid Foods

Hi All

I posted this thread in the allergy forum as well...

A quick note for those who do not know, my dd was diagnosed with severe allergic collitis at 7 weeks of age, (pure blood and mucous for stools without resolve) and I have been through the toughest of TED's. Long story short, I am pumping and dd is on liquid Nutramigen until I am able to reintroduce my BM to her. I have already tried a few times but the blood immediately returned so I am holding off another month or so.

Anyways...

DD is coming of age and is quickly gaining interest in our food. I am still holding off until all of the signs are there, I.E. sitting on her own, tongue thrust reflex gone, grabbing at our food etc.

I am SCARED TO DEATH about offering her solids.

What advice would any of you give on solid introduction to such a sensitive baby?

Are there any good links out there?

I want to be well read on the topic before I begin to fathom treading there.

Thanks in advance!!!

Default Re: Allergies and Solid Foods

I am bumping to see if I get any response this time....

DS has a confirmed milk allergy, and I am using the attached list as a modified guideline for introducing solids. I can't say I'm sticking to this exactly, but I'm following this more closely than the standard guide to introducing solids.

http://www.hallpublications.com/title2_sample2.html

Also, my ped worked in Sweden earlier in her career, and she said that drs in Sweden advise avoiding foods for "birch pollen" allergies, which she said we may want to avoid feeding DS directly. These include apples, pears, carrots and potatoes. We have tried pears and he did break out in a rash, so I'm holding off on the others and waiting to reintroduce pears until he's a little older (maybe 12 mos).

My ped recommends waiting 7 days (vs typical 4) between introduction of new solids for allergic infants, and we are generally sticking to that. I try to introduce the new solid a minimum of two times within the 7 day period. If more than two times, I try to skip a couple days in between introducing for third or fourth time in case there is a reaction so it wouldn't be so severe.

Our ped allergist recommends no nuts or eggs (both whites and yolks) until 2 years old for allergic infants.

I've read it's a good idea to only introduce a single food at one time, and you really need to read labels to be able to do this. Some jarred peaches, for example, include white grape juice -- and it can vary by "stage" not just by brand. All jarred bananas I've found include citrus, but you can very easily mash up a ripe banana and that's probably a better way to offer anyway.

There are other moms on the forum who are much more knowledgeable on infant allergies than I am, so hopefully they will post advice for you as well.

Thank you!!! That info. was VERY beneficial

I do not know as much as you probably need to know. I have a child who is only allergic to peanuts. She was still being bf at 12 mon when I gave her peanutbutter, now she's severly allergic. For babies with allergies, not introducing solids too early is important. If your lo can't even take your bm then I see why this would scare you.

I would make all of my own babyfood then you'll know exactly what bothers your lo. Natural organic foods may also be best. Sorry I can't be of more help.