Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lactose Intolerant???

Default Lactose Intolerant???

So at my dd 2 week checkup my doctor suggested taking my daughter off of breast milk and putting her on formula to see if it would clear up her diarhea. He thinks she's lactose intolerant...does anyone else have any suggestions??? Is it the milk/dairy I'm consuming that could be causing it or is it the lactose in the breast milk itself??? I really don't want to put her on formula!!!!

She has really watery bm's and there is no "seedy-ness" to them at all. Other than that she's content...although she hasn't regained her birth weight which was also a concern.

Help!

Default Re: Lactose Intolerant???

I am not sure, but I always thought it was the lactose in the dairy that mama takes in that causes babies to react. If your Dr suggested formula then it would have to be soy formula (or lactose-free if there is such a thing?) -- if it doesn't say soy or lactose-free then it is cow milk based and has lactose!

I would try eliminating dairy in your diet first if you want to continue bf. Any other mommies with suggestions? What color are the bowel movements? If they are green you could have oversupply or overactive letdown -- this happens with my daughter occasionally.

Have you tried the kellymom.com site? It is very good and you can search different topics.

Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

I would probably call and talk to another doctor or a lactation consultant for more info.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

First of all, I am pretty sure that any allergy she may have would be to something you're eating. Don't feel like there is something inherently wrong with your milk - if she has an allergy, it's something you're ingesting that's bothering her. My niece was lactose intolerant and they found out that it was definitely a food allergy by testing her stool. From doing that, they can't narrow down exactly what she is allergic to, but just that it is in fact a problem with a food allergy. Since dairy is a common allergy, cutting dairy out of your diet should clear it up. Depending on how much you rely on dairy, you'll have to decide if you can do it. From what I've heard, if your little one has a strong lactose intolerance, you may have to give up all forms of dairy (i.e. anything made with cow's milk, cheese or butter.) Although I've heard other people say that just limiting their amount of direct milk helps. I think talking to a lactation consultant that you trust is a good idea.

Also, I would think that your doctor may be more concerned with your baby losing weight and that's why he is recommending formula. I've had some signs of possible food allergies with my daughter (who is a month old right now) but since she is continuing to gain weight, her doctor said that we don't have to be too concerned unless her symptoms get worse or she starts losing weight. If neither of those things happens, he suspects that what she may have is reflux, not an allergy. (Her symptoms are more about spitting up. She does have pretty watery stool with seeds, but that's what they've always looked like so he said that just may be her baseline of stool. Currently he is treating her for reflux.)

If you don't want to use formula, a lactation consultant may have some suggestions for your individual situation. But if your little one continues to lose weight and you have to supliment, you may still be able to breastfeed as well. (Maybe you could give a bottle or two a day and still continue to breastfeed as long as you clear up any possible allergies.)

Hang in there!

Run far, far away from a dr who thinks the solution to whatever ails baby is formula! Seriously, your gut is telling you that isn't the solution for a very good reason. I would think eliminating dairy from your diet would be a reasonable start, just be aware that it takes 10 days to 2 weeks to get out of your system. There's also an allergy board here where you can get some support.

Quote Originally Posted by calimom View Post
    So at my dd 2 week checkup my doctor suggested taking my daughter off of breast milk and putting her on formula to see if it would clear up her diarhea.
    Do the poops smell foul? Is there mucus in the poop?

Here's a non-LLL resource that explains all the normal variations in baby poop:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

He thinks she's lactose intolerant...does anyone else have any suggestions??? Is it the milk/dairy I'm consuming that could be causing it or is it the lactose in the breast milk itself??? I really don't want to put her on formula!!!!

The lactose from dairy doesn't pass into your milk, but the proteins from dairy can. Dairy sensitivity usually leads to a variety of symptoms beyond poop issues.

Yes, breastmilk has lactose. ALL milk contains milk sugar.

Here's some information that might be helpful in your situation:

"You may know adults who don't drink milk because they are "lactose intolerant," a medical condition that occurs when the body no longer makes enough of the enzyme lactase, which is needed to digest lactose, the main carbohydrate in milk. Lactose intolerance is not a problem for babies. They are born with the ability to produce lots of lactase because they depend on their mother's milk for nutrition in the first year of life and the lactose in mother's milk is needed for brain development."

"Although infants are not lactose intolerant by nature, a high volume of lactose can overwhelm a baby's digestive system. When there is not enough lactase to break down all the lactose, the excess lactose causes gassiness and discomfort, and frequently green, watery or foamy stools.

Here's the full resource: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/foremilk.html

Did your doctor tell you what led him to diagnose lactose intolerance? Did he suggest you see an IBCLC for help with breastfeeding management techniques?

She has really watery bm's and there is no "seedy-ness" to them at all. Other than that she's content...although she hasn't regained her birth weight which was also a concern.
    I have a few questions that might help us figure out what is going on...

What was your baby's lowest weight? And what is her weight now?

How many wet and poopy diapers in 24 hours?

How often is your baby nursing, about how many times in 24 hours? Is she latched on well? Do you hear swallowing? Are you experiencing any nipple soreness?

Who ends the feeding (you or her)? Is she generally content between feeds? Does she stay on one breast until she comes off on her own, or do you switch breasts after a certain number of minutes?

When she nurses, does she suck actively most of the time? Would you say she is a sleepy baby? Do you struggle to keep her awake to feed?