Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Someone? Anyone? I need some serious help here!

Default Re: Someone? Anyone? I need some serious help here!

If you have a superboob - fast feedings may be the norm. If you are engorged between feedings you might need to pump in order for LO to latch on correctly. (It is hard to latch to a hard as rock engorged boob.) Keep up the good work!

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I have very different flows coming out of each breast, so I know where you're coming from. And my LO, who is 8 weeks old and only got the hang of breastfeeding when she was 6 weeks old after weeks and weeks of bottles (she was in the NICU as well), latches on really well to one breast and quite badly (and painfully) on the other. And that's only after hitting my boob and YELLING at it for a while. Crazy scene.

I was very stressed in the beginning with BFing. The only way it began to work is if I pumped for a few seconds first and then put her on. That worked and now no pumping required.

I don't think I helped you much but your story sounds so much like mine, I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck and let you know that IT CAN WORK. It sometimes just takes many attempts...

Hey Everyone! Thanks again... I sure can use all the support I"m getting here! So yesterday DS took boob for a few minutes at two other feeds as well which was fine. He was on only for a few minutes before turing into frankenstein, but hey I'll take whatever I can get!

Last night he comfort nursed for awhile (he must've gotten something from me cause i only pumped .5oz after he was done... but he then took a 4oz bottle 40 minutes later -- growth spurt??). Then this morning we woke up and he took superboob for a few minutes (about 3 minutes) then slept 3 hours with me. I did NOT pump after this feeding ebcause I thought any second he'd wake up hungry again! But he didn't!

Woke up... took both boobs... did great on super boob, not so great on slacker boob... but boob is boob! So I pumped after this feeding for about 5 minutes per side because they were dripping so much... got 5oz total... plus he is satisified.

I'm def. going to give it another shot for his next feeding!

QUESTION:
    - I don't think I"ve been pumping right after EVERY one of his feeds (I usually pump 5-7 times a day... but sorta on my own schedule)... is this possibly the issue? My body makes milk differently than he needs to eat it? I think this has somethign to do with it. I haven't adjusted to being ready when he needs it because I"m always pumping abuot 45 minutes to over an hour after he bottle feeds. Going to STOP that. Going to either latch him on, or pump WHILE i bottle feed him if possible...and see if I can learn to match his needs.

Feeling soo bright and encouraged today again!

I'm so glad things are going better for you. What exactly does he do when he turns into frankenstein after a few minutes? Some babies get all they need in only a few minutes. My son was like that starting at 3 weeks, so I just thought I'd throw that out there. If you can hear lots of swallowing just those three minutes, he could be getting quite a bit. My son never nursed for longer than 5 minutes from three weeks on...

I don't really understand this question: "My body makes milk differently than he needs to eat it?" Are you saying you make more than he needs? I think you plan to try to match his needs is a good one.

Hope things keep getting better for you!

-Anne

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

:tumbsup It is possible to have a stronger let-down on one side and a slower on the other. Keep doing what you are doing! It will probably take a few weeks to get him back to the breast entirely. Did you try the bottle nipple idea? I would definitely try it, since it worked for me. It took a few days, but eventually my daughter just latched on without the "trick". Sounds like you are pretty dedicated to BFing, so just keep it up and let us know how it is going!

Sorry for delayed reply... was at children's hosp. all weekend with my baby. He had serious issues at birth, was in NICU, then major surgery at 9 days old. Never even got home until he was 2 weeks old... anyhow... just some related complications that have now cleared up.

Met with LC at the hospital today. She thinks:
    - we're not really going to get the hang of B/Fing (I say whatever... we'll keep working at it, and if we get it once a day even thats fine with me, even if he never does it more often).
    - my nipples are not BULBOUS after feedings so he is not sucking right (but yet she said he was nibbling and drinking, so i was confused!).
    - try avent bottles with faster flow to see if that helps the transition
    - nurse laying down
    - I have a super fast flow, and he is pulling off because of this.
    - really wasn't encouraging or supportive to be honest... so I'm kinda disregarding her statements.... and we'll just keep working at it. I'm taking these ideas:
    - bigger faster flow avent nipples, nurse laying down, pump a minute first to slow down flow...
    and leaving the negativity behind. Even if I just pump for him I"m fine with that... but I really do enjoy any latch we get and if he can do it once... he can do it more than once!

I will try the nipple to breast transition trick too... thanks!

Wow, that's too bad you feel like you didn't get good help. I agree with pumping at the beginning of feedings and trying to nurse lying down. Leaning back when you feel your milk start to let-down (if you do feel it!) or when you hear your baby start to swallowing more can also help him handle the flow better. I'm surprised by the faster flow bottle nipple advice, haven't really heard that before. Is she trying to get your son accustomed to a fast flow so he could be able to nurse eventually? Most kids learn to deal with the fast flow as they get older, but it will probably take a few months at least.
    It's really a shame she said he probably will never get the hang of it. You are clearly and very commited momma and things change so fast with these little ones. As he matures and gets stronger, you never know what will happen!!

Have you work with a local LLL leader? Getting more "experts" to see what you are doing and offer suggestions might help.
    If you're fine with pumping for now, just stick with that... you CAN breastfeed... just give it some more time and keep working at it and keep us posted!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807