Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constipation

Exclamation Constipation

DD is 8.5 months, she is BF and takes solids very well (if you don't offer her some, she will help herself to whatever is closest). DCP just called me and said that she has been pretty fussy today, running a slow grade fever 99.4, and has had several small, hard bms and she has been crying trying to pass them and at the last one when she wiped there was blood. She also said that she has just wanting to sleep most of the day. I am worried, I took her & DS to pedi yesterday (DS had sinus infection, DD was snotty) but she said dd looked fine, just a runny nose. I asked DCP to offer her some water to help her finish her bms and not to give any more food. The blood has me all freaked out thought, she couldn't have hurt herself when trying to pass the bm could she? Could being constipated cause her to have a slight fever? Maybe I am just overreacting because I'm not there to comfort her. She was having some problems with BMs before so I started adding water to her bottles (4oz ebm + 1.5oz water 3Xday). What else can I do?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: Constipation

She could have hurt herself while trying to pass the BM...if it was red blood that is more likely the case. I am not sure if watering down your breastmilk is the greatest option, what about some more fiberous foods? I just hate to think of watering down GOLD! I am sure that it is fine...just makes me sad! Prunes always do wonders, and if she won't eat them outright, try mixing them in applesauce or with pears. You could sneak pears into just about anything, but you would have to mash it a bit.

Fever could be runny nose related...better be safe than sorry and call the doc~

Hope this helps!

Sarah

I've used flax seed meal mixed in with fruit/ cereal/ whatever she's eating. It worked really well. Dr. Sears recommends it or flax seed oil. I also had to stop giving her rice cereal. It really made her constipated. Maybe you can figure out if there's a certain food that's causing the problem. Dr. Sears says rice cereal, bananas, cooked carrots and applesauce are some foods that can cause problems.

Here's some good info:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

Constipation is fixed, I feel so bad thought! I wasn't thinking as I made her babyfood the other night and sent her to daycare with faijta chicken, it apperently was too spicey. Her bowels deifnately lossened up by the time I picked her up, but it burned her bum!

I add water to her ebm because she won't drink anything except ebm and pedi advised giving her water to help losen bowels (plus I can't pump enough at work to fill the bottles, so I use water to "make up" the difference). The fever was gone when I picked her up, not sure where that came from, she was happy to see me and only cried when she pooped.

Today I sent her with two extra bottles instead of having her eat 3 solids (got the extra ebm from sister). Over the weekend she will mostly nurse (I think when she sees other babies eating @ DCP she thinks she needs to eat too). Thanks for all the help!

My four month old DD became constipated solely on BM. I took her to the Dr. and she told me to give her prune juice (1/2 ounce to 1 ounce). It helped, but she still only had a BM every couple of days, was very gassy and uncomfortable. When she went back for her 3 month checkup two weeks later, that Dr. said I could give her up to two ounces twice a day. Well we have been doing that, continuing the breastfeeding and I also introduced Barley cereal in a bottle and she now goes everyday or every other day, at least once, usually before noon and things have been much better. Sometimes her stools are really loose and sometimes they are pastey. I was told if they get real loose to lower the amount or drop one feeding. I tried that too soon once and we ran into same problems. I would not stop anything that is working until the poops are consistenly loose. Good Luck, I hope this helps. I am surprised your Dr. didn't tell you about Prune Juice. I personally think that is probably better than watering down your breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by amandalynn

I add water to her ebm because she won't drink anything except ebm and pedi advised giving her water to help losen bowels (plus I can't pump enough at work to fill the bottles, so I use water to "make up" the difference).