Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much water

Default How much water

should you drink a day to have a good supply? I have been slacking on my water intake and I'm trying to be a good girl

Default Re: How much water

The first few weeks I forgot to drink water, so everytime I nursed my lo I made sure I drank water... so I guess I drank 8-12 glasses a day...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

My original LC suggested I have a glass every time I sat down to nurse. THat was a good way to make sure I, not only put my feet up to relax, but I had a refreshing beverage too!!

My goal is 64 oz every day. I have a 32 oz jug thing I carry around where ever I go (got it from the hospital)- I find I drink what I need to when I have the jug filled up. I'll finish the first one off by noon, no problem, then I have all day to have other things to drink in addition to one more jug.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I was always told 10 8oz glasses a day. Nursing does make me very thirsty and with my twins it is even worse.

Wow!!! I'm a slacker

Quote Originally Posted by Kriss View Post
    Wow!!! I'm a slacker
    You're not alone. I know I don't drink as much water as I should!

I get maybe one bottle in each day (16 oz), and I am really dealing with oversupply! I've read that your body will make the milk....but you might get dehydrated. (Kinda like with vitamins.....your milk will have all that's needed, but YOU might be calcium deficient or anemic) KWIM?

For me, it doesn't seem to matter. I drink a lot of juice and decaf iced tea. But not a whole glass every time he nurses....

Mommy to Aidan and Kaitlyn (09/12/02) and to Anderson (07/04/07)

The LLL leaders always say "drink to thirst and eat to hunger." While we're all supposed to get eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day, nursing or not, getting less than that won't effect your supply unless you're in chronic dehydration territory. Do you get thirsty when you nurse? I always need to have some water while I'm nursing & in the early months I would get so thirsty it was like my soul was begging for water! If you want more info, check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...ds.html#fluids

HTH!

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    The LLL leaders always say "drink to thirst and eat to hunger." While we're all supposed to get eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day, nursing or not, getting less than that won't effect your supply unless you're in chronic dehydration territory. Do you get thirsty when you nurse? I always need to have some water while I'm nursing & in the early months I would get so thirsty it was like my soul was begging for water! If you want more info, check out this link: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...ds.html#fluids

HTH!

Thanks for the article!