Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: rice cereal question

Default rice cereal question

Goodness I am relieved to have a working computer...I haven't been on here in what seems like forever! Anyways...

I have decided to try starting rice cereal before bedtime with my 5 month old next week. I don't have a clue about it. My doctor said to give him a little in a spoon with my breast milk, but how much? (she told me and I forgot.) Also, do I nurse him and then give him the rice cereal before bed, or do I not need to nurse him when I give it to him? CanI give it to him more than just before bed time? How long should it keep my DS full? Are there different kinds of rice cereal to buy? Will he get constipated?

So many questions...thanks in advance.

Default Re: rice cereal question

I would start with 1 tbsp single grain rice cereal with 4-5 tbsp either water, formula or breast milk. As baby gets better at eating (they loose the "tongue thrust" movement) you can thicken the cereal. My pediatricial says start with 2 times a day. After rice cereal, try oatmeal, rice cereal with fruit and oatmeal with fruit. Gerber has some suggestions on starting solids http://www.gerber.com/fpidea?ideaid=idea1
    Good luck!

Just want to offer an alternate perspective

Rice cereal, (or any baby cereals for that matter) aren't really necessary (whole foods being a better alternative). To follow are some links incase you're interested

LLL page on starting soilds

Kelly mom pages:
    First Foods

Cereal is not at all necessary, particularly the baby cereals. Regular (whole grain) oatmeal is more nutritious for your baby.
    Ready for solids?

There's lots more info out there if youre so inclined - (lots of other threads here on the boards as well)

Good luck!!! :tumbsup
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We started rice cereal and baby foods a few weeks ago. On the box of cereal it has directions for the first time - 1 tbsp with 4-5 tbsp breast milk, formula or water (I prefer breast milk). Make sure the liquid is body temperature.

When giving any foods always nurse before so he is getting all his nutrients from your milk first. Then offer him the cereal. He may lap it up or he may not be very interested. Try to follow his cues. If he is not interested try again a few days later. Warning: the consistency that is recommended is very difficult to feed with a spoon. Not saying you shouldnt do it - it's good for them to get the idea of a spoon - but it will be messy!

We are'nt very good with schedules for food yet. You can give it to him more than once a day, however at first, I would recommend just once a day for a week or so. You will know what he wants. My son fusses in the morning and early afternoon for food now and usually doesnt eat at night. He nurses as much as he did before starting solids.

I'm not sure what will happen with the poop on just cereal - you will probably find it to be a little more chunky (best way to describe it). If he strains and the poop is hard, then he is probably consipated - which I'm sure is a possibility with any new food. But if the poop becomes more solid and firm that is ok. As solids are started it should become more like our poop but not completely. Somewhere between the mustard breast milk poo and your poo is normal.

As far as sleeping - once when I gave it to him at dinner with a spoon and then in a bottle at bedtime he slept from 9 - 4. This did not last though and until we got into a little more of a routine with solids and a bedtime routine did he do that more consistantly. (That actually did not include cereal - only baby food for breakfast and lunch). He did have cereal tonight because he puked up most of his breakfast and was fussing for food after our dinner. So we will see what happens.

The way I look at it with cereal is that it is still breast milk that he is getting and the cereal is just a bonus...it cant really hurt him. But that is a choice each parent has to make for themselves. Good luck and HTH!
    Last edited by buttrfli777; August 22nd, 2007 at 08:37 PM.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS nurse first, then offer solids after!! Remember, you are SUPPLEMENTING! BM is superior to all other foods!!!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

thanks for the advice. I think the only reason I was considering the cereal was because he has been waking a lot and I can't really figure out if it's cause he's hungry or just used to my breasts being available 24/7. I just figured if he ate the cereal and then slept longer afterwards...I could guess it is because he was hungry...right? I keep going back and forth with this and i can't make up my mind if I should give it to him or not. I've been reading previous threads and links....I don't really want to give it to him, but he seems really hungry all the time.

I have another question....a dumb one at that....when you start giving your baby regular solid food ("stage 1") do they tend to sleep longer with that too....or is there just something about rice cereal that makes some babies sleep longer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan's Mommy View Post
    thanks for the advice. I think the only reason I was considering the cereal was because he has been waking a lot...or is there just something about rice cereal that makes some babies sleep longer?
    Many moms will tell you that cereal helped their LO sleep through the night at 3-4 mos but this idea is not supported by any research. There is some evidence that older babies 6-7 mos will sleep longer with some "food" in their bellies.
    I wouldn't cound on it as a magic sleeping solution.

Here is some solids info: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...#linkshomemade

For us I have found that solids have helped him sleep longer. He was not eating at night (9-5) from 2 mos to 4 mos, but he would wake a lot and need to be soothed to sleep. At 4 mos he started waking at 12 and 4 to eat. after starting cereal and stage 1 baby food and adding a better bedtime routine (bath with bedtime wash, bedtime lotion, nurse, book, sleep) he is sleeping soundly from 8-4 then waking to eat and going back to sleep til 6 or 7. However - it could be the food, it could be the age, it could be the routine...I'm guessing a combination of them all. I do konw that once we started solids he became much more content, so although there is controversy about starting before 6 mos, I believe we chose the right thing for our family. BTW you can always try and change your mind later. You dont have to keep giving solids if you dont want to or if you find nothing changes for you.
    Last edited by buttrfli777; August 24th, 2007 at 02:43 AM.

Sleeping through the night is a delvelopmental thing - just like crawling and walking and talking. They'll do it when they're ready. You can't coax them into it. You could give LO something to eat before and he'll sleep or he wont' it could be the food, it might be because he's ready. No one will ever know, really. Correlation does not equal causation Use your best judgement for what works for you and your family and good luck

This quote is from this page.

The idea that solids will help your baby sleep is an old wives' tale that has been disproven by medical studies. Feeding your baby solids or formula in an attempt to make baby sleep longer is not a good idea for several reasons...
    Last edited by Number3; August 24th, 2007 at 08:07 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.