Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Constantly Feeding

Smile Constantly Feeding

Baby Peter is 18 days old today. Seems like he is constantly feeding. I've kept track of how often he eats and for how long. Some days it seemed like every other hour, other days its a good 2-3 hours in between. After reading other peoples experiences, I chalked it up to growth spurts (ie. the 7-10 day spurt, the 2 week spurt), but today and yesterday seem almost unbearable. I feed for 10-20 minutes on each side, usually change his diaper in between breasts to "wake him up", sometimes strip him naked, anything to keep him sucking/swallowing. He'll fall asleep at the breast, I put him to bed, and he's up again in 1/2 hour rooting for more. Is this normal? If so, when can I look forward to a break? (Note: Last night I did get two 2.5-3 hour sleeps!)

Default Re: Constantly Feeding

I think it sounds pretty normal. My DS is 13 weeks and he'll sometimes have frequent cluster feedings. I know its hard to get little rest, but it will get better. Every baby is different, so I can't say when. Keep feeding on demand, so you maintain a good supply. Hang in there!
    Melissa, mom to my very busy 4-year-old little man and super busy 2-year-old princess.

I agree...try to go with the flow - with my LO, some days are sleepy days, others he nurses all day, every hour, then the next he goes 3...I gave up trying to figure it out...I've found it doesn't always coincide with the "normal" growth spurt schedule.

Each baby is different.
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

Quote Originally Posted by BlueKat View Post
    I agree...try to go with the flow - with my LO, some days are sleepy days, others he nurses all day, every hour, then the next he goes 3...I gave up trying to figure it out...I've found it doesn't always coincide with the "normal" growth spurt schedule.

Each baby is different.
    ITA!! My LO is 3 weeks old today and we have days where he is a sleepy head and other days he is constantly at the breast.

He is so little now, in about a month he will be more predictable. Right now look at it as time out from house work that will always be there. Enjoy just cuddling with your new little man.

Hey There,

Finally I can give back. Your post sounded just like one I posted at that same time. We have our good days and our bad as well. You/we are not alone. And apparantly is not only normal but common. Like the pp said, just go with the flow, sleep when you can. I felt soooo much better the other day after a nap my lo finally allowed me to have. GOOD LUCK! Keep the faith, YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!